EOG

www.eogresources.com
  www.eogresources.com
There are newer employer reviews for EOG

An okay company that could do so much better

Current Employee - A/P in Houston, TX
Current Employee - A/P in Houston, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time

Pros

Very good benefits, with plenty of time off.

Cons

Core management are holdovers from the Enron days. If you work for one, and they are not happy with something, you will not get a chance to either move up or laterally. Do not take a position here unless that is what you really want to be doing, as your chances to move are about nil. This is especially so in the A/P department.

When you have a good employee who shows an interest in another position, and has the aptitude for it, a good company with give them a chance...a poor one will not.

36 Other Employee Reviews for EOG (View Most Recent)

Great Company but Needs Much Improvement !!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits - 3 weeks vacation on the first day of work, personal days, 6 weeks of sick time, and flexible schedule

Cons

Tends to hire outside more than promoting inside. Company seems to stress hiring friends and family instead of looking at the abilities of its current employees. If you get hired, make sure you are working in your preferred position.

Not everybody is happy working in their current positions. Don't automatically assume we are happy just because we have a job working for this company. This is a great company, one to retire from, but hire inside first. If there is no luck, then look outside.

High exposure, loosely organized

Current Employee - Engineer II in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at EOG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Little higherarchy, lots of responsibility and opportunity. If you work for the right person/department, it can be a great place to work and learn. Mostly a casual atmosphere, and there is always a get it done mentality. In the right groups or departments that are properly staffed and have good management attitude, it can be a great place to work.

Cons

It's loosely organized which can be a positive or can be a negative when things get out of hand. There can be frustration in lack of guidance and direction. For some departments with the right people and leaders it works well, where others do more poorly. There can be a lot of snap judgements and whiplash back and forth when some more planning and foresight overall could be beneficial. You can also get the whisper at the top turns to a shout at the bottom (rigid conveyance of orders/information) with some leaders, where others are good about adapting to situations. It all depends on who you work for, as I'm sure is true with most organizations.

The performance bonuses are all supposed to be customized to every individual, but after several years working here, it seems like most people are on a promotion/raise schedule. There isn't much feedback to be able to differentiate. It is hard to tell if you're really doing well and if the "you're doing a good/great job"s are significantly reflected in your compensation or not; I'm guessing long term they will be. From colleagues with the same experience I do, I would guess base salary is middle ground and bonuses are on the low side, especially considering the extensive vesting time (5 year cliff vest).

A lot of valuable people seem to be under-paid. Most groups know who the winners are, and they should be compensated accordingly. I don't get to see the pay, but it seems like the spread from the "A players" to the "C Players" is not that much after they are hired (I could be wrong). A get it done attitude with managers is positive on the surface but can also be a caustic characteristic. It has to be done with flexibility or it can bypass the best solutions to a problem. A get it done manager that doesn't give much feedback is a good sign things are poor. A get it done where you hear feedback from the troops on the ground is a good sign. The managers I have dealt with seem to distinctly fall into groups of flexible and inflexible. Adapting to feedback and isisting it is done right is hugely beneficial to being a good manager.

There are newer employer reviews for EOG