There are newer employer reviews for EPG

I arrived energized with a can-do attitude, but departed with my hands tied.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits package is good Salaries are competitive Paid time off The company has a lot of potential

Cons

Important information was communicated primarily through staff chatter. Upper management comprises several principals/industry professionals who have not sought to improve their skills as managers–no management classes, seminars, or professional enhancement/education were offered or recommended to middle managers either. Office staff members were inconsiderate about conversations and laughter in and around cubicles and in the halls and there were many interruptions, which made working after hours, at home, or on the weekends necessary. Deadlines were not enforced, thus arbitrary. Budgets were only disclosed to support staff when exceeded.

Advice to Management

Support and respect the efforts of the professionals you hired. Proactively seek to improve your leadership skills. Study current people- and business-managing philosophies through books, classes, and management seminars. Encourage and enforce a more professional office culture.

Other Employee Reviews for EPG

Fair Warning to Applicants considering this Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

There are plenty of good people here, including some managers. They are good at what they do and ethical, so they are in the same boat as me (see below). The work we get is interesting and has been coming in pretty solid, so we have enough to do. It is less corporate than my last company.

Cons

This company has several other locations, and I can only speak to the Phoenix office (headquarters) where I am currently employed, though I hear that the problems we have in Phoenix apply throughout the company. There is an exodus underway at this office, which will result in openings, so this is fair warning for the highly-skilled professionals who may be doing their research rather than taking their interview at face value, as I did. This office is what is known in the HR industry as 'toxic', meaning that none of the normal, logical rules apply to the way they do business and treat their employees. I am not taking my experience there as representative, I am taking mine and about 85% of the 60-person office that I've spoken to personally about this into account in this 'review'. We all need the job we have desperately and otherwise would obviously have left already but you know it is bad when everyone at the office is talking about it, and I don't mean normal griping, I mean significant depression, teeth grinding, tears (not us guys, just the girls), etc. I am seriously considering going back to my previous company if they'll have me. Since there are only so many general comments and specific examples you can make here without giving your identity away, I'll start by saying that if you are considering (due to the economy/lack of other options like the rest of us) applying or taking a position with this company, first do yourself a big favor and get the names/#s/personal emails of several low-mid level staff at EPG who have worked there for at least a year (hard to find them with the turnover rate--I have been there over 3 years) and ask them about what it is like to come to work day to day and whatever other questions you have (rating categories above a good place to start). The state of this company is such that even with job prospects being slim, the vast majority of staff here who haven't been 'laid off' (the company is highly profitable and doesn't make an effort to communicate problems its management has with staff) or quit to wait tables instead (making better money) have pending applications with other companies. This is truly a case of anywhere else would be better. A number of promises are made (not in writing of course) to get you to come on board, and then the total dysfunction of the management (principals, and therefore, managers that stay on) trickles down to the staff's constant frustration and anger at doing their jobs excellently with no recognition, sub-standard salaries and power plays/drama between the few people in the office that find temporary favor with the owners (who, by the way, work in the Phoenix office--in theory, this could be a good thing, except that they smoke in the office during business hours and are so personally notorious to work for that recently a recruiter for the company said that people he attempted to recruit in OTHER STATES said they would not work for this company due to its terrible reputation in the consulting field). Even if they don't lowball your offer (and that will be your salary for the next couple of years), it is not worth the risk to work here. The staff and managers making the higher salaries here are miserable and waiting for offers to get out because of the non-compensation issues, and their having given up on a future with EPG makes them fairly impossible to work with/for since they are 'dropping the ball' and not motivated.

Advice to Management

Standardize communication between the main office and the other offices, especially with the cultural and biology offices who need to be given budget.

Okay...But not great

Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are great people and really care about their roes and their co-workers. Insurance benefits were pretty good for a small business. Other benefits were comperable.

Cons

There were two major challenges working here. Little to no room at all for advancement and the principals were very difficult to work for. Many good employees left because they just got tired on the nonsense. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. One principal might tell you to do one thing, and then another may tell you to do another. If you can "go with the flow" it's not too difficult. I won't get into the ethics of the principals, but I'm happy I've moved on.

Advice to Management

Transparency is key. Telling your employees one thing in regards to the business, when they see otherwise, isn't a good way to retain quality employees.