ESF Camps

There are newer employer reviews for ESF Camps

Love the Campers, Unimpressed with Management

Current Employee - Day Camp Employee in Haverford, PA
Current Employee - Day Camp Employee in Haverford, PA

I have been working at ESF Camps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the campers and camp parents! They are an absolute joy.

Cons

Management is too quick to accuse employees of breaking one of their excessive rules. Communication between management and employees, especially "Rookies," is abysmal. Camper's days are so structured that there is little time for free play and overall creativity. Pay is minimum wage for a position that requires a significant amount of preparation before, during, and after work hours.

Management should spend more time encouraging and fostering the growth of their employees as a means of improving the camp's overall product and increasing employee retention. The amount of employees that I see getting fired mid-camp every year is a negative reflection on the camp's style of employee management. Working with children is serious business, however, the employees should not be engulfed with so many rules that it is impossible to enjoy the experience in fear of repercussions.

8 Other Employee Reviews for ESF Camps (View Most Recent)

A reason to return

Former Employee - Counselor in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Counselor in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at ESF Camps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nights and weekends off, fun co-workers, fun work (if you like kids), and great experience and networks if you want to be a teacher.

Cons

Low pay, micromanaging supervisors, and so many rules. Focus is on avoiding liability, not the kids

Let the counselors have a little freedom!

Best Summer Camp I've Worked For

Current Employee - Counselor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Counselor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ESF Camps part-time (less than an year)

Pros

LOTS of activities offered, high energy from everyone, kids are very excited to be there, the directors at this camp knows how to run a camp, family flings, and literally so much more (rock wall, plays, art, engineering, photography, sports, swimming pool, quest challenges, etc. etc. etc.) If you like working with kids, this is the place to go. I've worked at a summer camp before, and it was no where near as exciting as this one.

Cons

Hot, hot, hot, and humid summer days spent partially (sometimes mainly) outdoors. Days can seem long and draining. OK pay.

Management works well. I have zero complaints for any of the directors or even staff.

There are newer employer reviews for ESF Camps