There are newer employer reviews for EY

I was an Associate Director in the Global IT department.

Former Employee - Associate Director in Secaucus, NJ
Former Employee - Associate Director in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at EY full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I spent 22 years at E&Y and for the most part it was a great experience. Benefits are excellent. I was fairly compensated and advanced throughout my career based my own merit and accomplishments. There is a defined benefit retirement plan, (which is getting very rare in private business) plus 401(k) with match that are very valuable and the basis of a comfortable retirement that I now enjoy. E&Y had very flexible work arrangements, good vacation policies (3 weeks to start), excellent equal opportunities for women, LGBT and all people. I spend many happy and productive years there and am grateful for the experience and proud of my own success and achievements there.

Cons

Business is business. It is a grave mistake to assume that any large business in any difficult financial environment is concerned about the individual employee, but there still may be policies that are beneficial to all employees and that was very true for E&Y. Financial hard times bring swift cost cutting and reductions in staff. Out large global IT department was significantly reduced in the recession in 2009 and many people were laid off, including very senior people, Directors, Associate Directors, many long term employees and older workers, several categories that I fit into and I was also laid off after 20+ years at over 60 years old with very slim prospects for future employment. That, however, was not specific to E&Y. I am realistic about it and because of their good retirement benefits and my own planning for retirement, I was able to truly retire, which for younger people with young families was not the cast. My advice to everyone: be serious and SAVE FOR RETIREMENT!

Advice to Management

The core business of E&Y is strong and I was not directly involved in it, but supported it. I cannot comment on that. The back office world of IT, benefits, retirement, HR, finance was always susceptible to fluctuation in the larger economy, that in some cases, caused reductions that did not turn out to be very beneficial to the firm in either the short or long term. I recommend taking a long view of the value and contributions and working chemistry of any department before cutting it arbitrarily to reduce current cost.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Solid programs and professional experiences, but the people are quite arrogant.

Current Employee - Auditor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Auditor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great academic training programs
    CPA study course provided
    Direct involvement with a variety of companies

Cons

The people tend to be very arrogant and non-inclusive
    The employee evaluation system is flawed and is quite subjective (another people issue)

Advice to Management

Ernst and Young's core values revolve around quality and our people. I feel like the people value is just a description on a paper. Every day I feel like the work environment is emotionally hostile. Employees form groups and are very rude and critical of others. They have complete disregard for diversity and in fact belittle people who are of different cultures, ages (out of the norm), religions, and sexes.

I did not bring this view up for a long time because I thought I was experiencing an isolated case. However, I noticed other employees who seemed dissatisfied and who also were becoming the brunt of uncalled for ridicule and passive aggressive emotional bullying. No kidding, the environment really feels like a Jr. high school hallway full of exclusive groups who bully and look down on others. I have approached other employees who appeared to be under the same harassment as I and opened up conversation regarding the matter. Not only were my points validated, they were expounded upon.

People are dissatisfied because of elite-clique groups that bully valuable employees. An interesting point is that the non-inclusive individuals who demean others even include individuals whom I would have expected much more from given their years of experience and supposed maturity with the firm. Many people leave the firm because of this and mask their reasoning with work demands, family matters, and not really enjoying accounting. Nevertheless, the motivating factor is much more serious and must be curtailed. As long as a this type of pecking order exists within the firm full potential cannot be attained.

My suggestion to address the issue is to identify the root causes of why groups are forming and why they feel the need to push others down in attempt to elevate themselves. Could it be a lack of leadership? Is it because the review system can be subjective and friends want to help friends while using outsiders as the scapegoats? Does the firm inadvertently promote an environment which communicates a message that if your peers succeed that means you have failed? These are questions that should be answered because the firm is suffering internally and will continue to do so until strong medication is used as a remedy.

Please don't delay.

2. Alright...

I worked at EY

Pros

Very friendly & helpful staff.

Cons

Job was mundane & boring.

Advice to Management

The company could be more efficient overall.