There are newer employer reviews for EY

Great place to work and start a career.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at EY

Pros

Learning opportunities and people are great.

Cons

Easy to get burnt out with the long hours and loads of travel.

Management is good but maybe find a way to offer more bonuses to keep people around or make them feel like their long hours are appreciated.

4678 Other Employee Reviews for EY (View Most Recent)

A great place to start your career

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at EY

Pros

For the most part, it is a relaxed environment where teaming is thought of highly. Co-workers are generally nice and intelligent people and always willing to lend a helping hand- not a cut throat environment like some other firms. For the most part, I've had positive interactions with managers, sr. managers and partners. Flexible working environment which allows you to work from home every once in a while if you have to. Also, decent work/life balance (but this also depends on your project). Not an "up or out" environment - seems like there are always second chances.

Cons

For the most part, promotions depend on who you know and how close of a relationship you develop with the person who reviews you. A lot of politics like any other firm. Within Advisory, entry-level positions end up doing a lot of menial tasks that don't always provide you a big-picture view. Traveling/flying can be tiring, especially if you get stuck on one project for a long period of time.

Take more time in developing the growth of staff and seniors. It's important to make sure that everyone is motivated and learning on the project.

It's a Big 4

Former Employee - Staff I
    Former Employee - Staff I

I worked at EY

Pros

Working with any of the Big 4 firms, you know what you can expect, especially when starting as a Staff 1 - lots of data entry, ticking-and-tying, etc. E&Y stresses its focus on the people as its advantage over the other accounting firms, but they'll say the same thing over at any of the other Big 4's. Career advancement is well-defined and structured.

Cons

It's a big firm, so it's easy to get lost in the cracks. During busy season, expect long hours and little compensation, but this is an industry standard. Recent layoffs hurt morale but are arguably necessary with tough economy.

Started at the firm not long ago, but from what I've seen, don't forget the Seniors who are really running the engagements.

There are newer employer reviews for EY