There are newer employer reviews for EY

Great place to begin but move on after a few years!

Current Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Iselin, NJ
Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Iselin, NJ

I have been working at EY

Pros

The brand name, training, work environment and the people you meet everyday. Ernst and Young follows the punch line "Quality in everything we do" and that is really a fact. Although, it become tiring after a certain time but when one sees the end result it gives a sense of accomplishment. The Managers and Senior Managers really know the thing they are talking about and this really gives a great learning opportunity to the staff and senior in an engagement. You can make good friends and there is a decent work life balance. Overall its a great place to begin your work life.

Cons

Long hours, compensation and uninteresting engagements. The review process of Ernst and Young is really tiring and that makes one work really long hours. The pay factor becomes really important and if at all they can do something about it then they can retain a talent for much longer period of time. Also the fact that one is asked to do much more different things than they are hired for. It is good that you are learning more but there is a point when one feels that you are doing more stuff in other department than the one you are hired in.

Matching the pay with work

4476 Other Employee Reviews for EY (View Most Recent)

It's not for everyone.

Current Employee - Transaction Advisory Services Staff  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Transaction Advisory Services Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY

Pros

Prestige, talented people, competitive pay.

Cons

Too much work, not enough life.

Get a life.

Good place to start career, soak it all in, build a network, and try not to get too bored

Current Employee - Audit Staff  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at EY

Pros

Ernst & Young offers great opportunities for development and education as a first job. You work with young people who, for the most part, are a pleasure to be around. The social network you develop is great and as people come and go and your list of clients grows, your network grows to include many places outside of the firm. The firm does a good job with flexibility (especially in the summer), and for the most part I feel like I do have quite a bit more freedom than I would at other jobs. However, this of course depends on the client you're on.

Cons

There are a quite a few downsides of working at Ernst & Young. First, I have found, especially in audit where there's a "CYA" mentality (as there should be), there are many administrative tasks that get quite mundane. There have been too many times to count where I've been instructed to 'roll forward' a checklist from prior year which involves a couple of hours of fun cutting and pasting. Also, while the summer hours are generally great, this is balanced by the fact that there isn't a whole lot of work to do and thus boredom once again creeps in. I find myself wondering if I would like the short hours and nothing much to do like the summer or the longer hours but with days that fly by like busy season. Also, I've heard that benefits (401k, health, etc) aren't great at E&Y - my dad, who has been involved in HR for years at a large corporation, claims that EY's 401K match has got to be one of the worst of any large firm or corporation.

Sometimes it seems that we spend money on silly things that could go towards rewarding employees a bit better. For example, we recently rebranded ourselves which was undoubtedly quite a large and expensive program. Perhaps those funds could be better spent in figuring out better ways to reward employees. Also, while there is quite a bit of flexibility in the firm and I think the message is starting to trickle down to the staff level, sometimes I feel like we receive the 'best places to work' ratings based on implementing programs that are more for show than ones that really provide much benefit to employees. For example, I often see our concierge program mentioned in the best places to work articles. While this seems like a great program, I personally don't know anyone that uses it. Thus, I would assume that if usage isn't particularly high then the cost can't be very high either. I would like to see more tangible and practical programs implemented - for example, improve the 401k match, implement some sort of year end bonus program, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for EY

Worked for EY? Contribute to the Community!