EY

Happy at E&Y

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Tax Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY

Pros

E&Y is a great place to work. You can really build a great career and pursue your interests at E&Y with support from management. E&Y recognizes strong performances and works hard to retain the best people. E&Y probably has the best entreprenurial culture of the Big 4 and allows its professionals all the latitude they need to build their own path and succeed.

Cons

Basic long hours of public accounting are a hassle, of course, but E&Y provides a great deal of flexibility to its professionals to work hard and still manage life outside of work.

Continue to keep quality standards high and don't lower the bar for expectations of staff no matter what PwC or the other firms are doing to try to get on the best places to work list. We already do it right.

4811 Other Employee Reviews for EY (View Most Recent)

Be prepared to work!

Former Employee - Audit Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at EY

Pros

Great reputation. Big 4 experience goes a long way.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Be prepared to not have a life during busy season, but that is typical in public accounting.

Stand by your policy of worklife balance.

Look beyond the pay. No kidding.

Current Employee - Audit Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at EY

Pros

No two days are the same. This works well for people like me, who have extremely low attention span and are easily bored. The variety of work and clients, opportunities to do different things and not having to go to the same desk day-in-day-out are what have kept me here for so long.

Despite the incessant cold calls from recruiters (at present the rate is about three per day), I have not felt compelled to consider any other opportunities simply because I have not stopped learning and growing - every engagement brings to you a different skill set, technically and otherwise. When you are working with a bunch of competitive, Type-A personalities who are also the smartest minds in the profession, you are bound to learn something new every day. Now compare that to a private sector with a bunch of nine-to-fivers.

The only way you can get the best out of the firm, though, is to put your hand up. No one is going to notice you if you don't speak up. But when you do, the rewards (albeit non-financial, apologies to those who are money-hungry... you are in the wrong profession) are great.

Cons

The inside jokes is that work-life balance is encouraged, as long as you keep it in that order. Yes, work-life balance is nonexistent despite significant efforts by the upper management. It's the nature of the profession - you don't clock in and clock out and get by doing the bare minimum of work. You actually have a set amount of work that you need to churn out, irrespective of how long it takes. Guess it's really up to each individual to put their foot down and make it work.

N/A