Happy at E&Y

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Tax Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY

Pros

E&Y is a great place to work. You can really build a great career and pursue your interests at E&Y with support from management. E&Y recognizes strong performances and works hard to retain the best people. E&Y probably has the best entreprenurial culture of the Big 4 and allows its professionals all the latitude they need to build their own path and succeed.

Cons

Basic long hours of public accounting are a hassle, of course, but E&Y provides a great deal of flexibility to its professionals to work hard and still manage life outside of work.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep quality standards high and don't lower the bar for expectations of staff no matter what PwC or the other firms are doing to try to get on the best places to work list. We already do it right.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fair & Flexible

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EY

Pros

The allow me flexibility to be with my family. I can come and go as I please as long as I get in the hours and get the job done at the end of the day. Most managers are down to earth and want to help you succeed.

Cons

You can work some long hours during your busy season. The office is very quiet and not much socializing during they day. There are also some very competitive people looking out for only themselves.

Advice to Management

I would like more guidance on how to get ahead. Also, what do they look for when they decide on salaries and promotions.

2. Look beyond the pay. No kidding.

Current Employee - Audit Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at EY

Pros

No two days are the same. This works well for people like me, who have extremely low attention span and are easily bored. The variety of work and clients, opportunities to do different things and not having to go to the same desk day-in-day-out are what have kept me here for so long.

Despite the incessant cold calls from recruiters (at present the rate is about three per day), I have not felt compelled to consider any other opportunities simply because I have not stopped learning and growing - every engagement brings to you a different skill set, technically and otherwise. When you are working with a bunch of competitive, Type-A personalities who are also the smartest minds in the profession, you are bound to learn something new every day. Now compare that to a private sector with a bunch of nine-to-fivers.

The only way you can get the best out of the firm, though, is to put your hand up. No one is going to notice you if you don't speak up. But when you do, the rewards (albeit non-financial, apologies to those who are money-hungry... you are in the wrong profession) are great.

Cons

The inside jokes is that work-life balance is encouraged, as long as you keep it in that order. Yes, work-life balance is nonexistent despite significant efforts by the upper management. It's the nature of the profession - you don't clock in and clock out and get by doing the bare minimum of work. You actually have a set amount of work that you need to churn out, irrespective of how long it takes. Guess it's really up to each individual to put their foot down and make it work.

Advice to Management

N/A