Buyer beware...

Current Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD
Current Employee - Consultant in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros

Entry level software job, ok pay in bad economy, on the job training, opportunity to work with large clients, great coworkers, nice building.

Cons

When I was recruited to come here I was made to think it was some sort of Google on the prairie. It’s definitely not that. There are worse jobs out there for sure, but you have to know what you getting into. A friend from school that got into development for another company told me (too late) that Eagle Creek sounded like a software sweatshop. He said that there are ones just like it all over India – unfortunately he was right. They do staff augmentation, like a temp agency, and they are the bottom rung of the ladder in software. Eagle Creek isn’t an up and coming Software Company, it’s a body shop that is owned by people that worked with India and run it like it was India. They find desperate people and give them poor training, low pay, and no benefits. When you burn through them, you just find more. You sell the bodies you have to clients and hope for the best and that their check clears. That’s it. It can be hard to find a job right now and this may be better than working at a store or in a call center, but if you want something more, don’t fall for their sales pitch.

Advice to Management

If you’re ok working for a small temp agency, management is fine. They keep the lights on. If you want anything at all more – training, coaching, benefits, feedback, compensation, advancement, you’ll be disappointed. The CEO is all hat and no cattle (you’ll learn what that means if you end up at their project centers in cow country). He talks big, doesn’t listen, and never delivers. But he’s there to sell clients, sell small towns, and dangle carrots in front of workers to get them to stay long enough to make him money, not to actually do what he says.

The best talk I’ve heard from management was from a guy at the other center, and he ended up quitting a few months later.

I think this is what they want, so there is no point in giving advice to management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Empty Promises, Promises, Promises, nothing but that, especially for CS and MIS people.

Current Employee - Consultant "I Think" in Pierre, SD
    Current Employee - Consultant "I Think" in Pierre, SD

I have been working at Eagle Creek

Pros

Good resume' experience if you can stick out the 18 months you are confined to because someone will pay you better.

Cons

- Senior Management doesn't get it. We work for you how about some positive feedback instead of the constant criticism we take? Name one person who has gotten a promotion in the last 3 months or even a good job? Too busy fixing the CARS program.
    - Pay is not even close to what a person can make in a bigger city.
    - Benefits are basically worthless the deductible says it all, plus the HSA.
    - Sr. Mgmt makes promises they cannot keep. They let people go who actually gave a >>>>>
    - HR never even comes to visit unless a crisis has developed and then threatens people about losing their jobs which makes people very uneasy and that's why turnover is so high among other things.
    - Additional training opportunities do not exist so why not leave when the time is up?
    - Not much to do in Pierre once you have visited every bar and restaurant in town.
    - No pay raise outlines or career path. What do I need to do to get a pay raise? People promised reviews, raises but they never seem to happen.
    - 401K bad news.
    - Benefits as mentioned above it's almost like why have them?
    - Just a bad environment in general. Everybody is watching everybody like hawks using IM to make sure people are doing their jobs and if not IM to whoever.
    - Let good people go especially last year or 2009.
    - No accountability especially for upper management decisions. I guess that goes back to the prior point.
    Seems like Technology and Training struggle to come together as far as working together to provide a solid training experience.
    - I am done.

Advice to Management

Give people a break. We for the most part like working for you however when you break promises you break morale. When you tell us one thing and we get the other no one is happy. It is not fun working in an environment when everything changes at the last minute and that we should have to adjust on a dime and be held accountable for the outcome.

HR needs to have a pulse on what is going on whether is be good or bad and it needs to be forwarded to upper management. I mean for the life of me I laid it all the line a few weeks ago and nothing has changed it is business as usual. It really gives me no incentive to want to stay or even strive to be better knowing in a few months I can leave and not worry about it, I have fulfilled my comittment. We already had a couple of people leave few weeks ago and I really don't blame them.

EC has nobody else to blame but themselves as to why people leave. I know I have figured it out. I know the intentions are good but the methodology is all screwed up. When you get that figured out you might just be able to convince people to stay around.

One thing is clear it starts at the top and trickles down.

If you are looking for a long term career with benefits, compensation, ethics, and in a good location - look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley City, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Valley City, ND

I worked at Eagle Creek

Pros

-Entry level software positions in rural areas in the upper Midwest.
    -On the job training working with national and global clients.
    -If you are a recent college graduate with no job prospects and are already in the region or are willing to relocate, it may be 18 months well spent to build your resume and get you to a better position at a better company, in a better location.

Cons

-18 month contract with payback and non-compete
    -no formal pay ranges
    -no promotional pay increases/ranges
    -no performance based pay increases/ranges
    -no career path
    -no local management
    -no local human resources
    -no local trainers
    -no ongoing training
    -no ongoing certifications
    -30-40% attrition burns out employees
    -poor benefits – low medical, no 401k, no tuition reimbursement, etc.

Advice to Management

Turnover in management and human resources (100%) is even higher than with employees (30%).