Earth Fare

www.earthfare.com
There are newer employer reviews for Earth Fare

Solid for what it is

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good sense of community springs up in and around these stores. Surrounded by people devoted to healthy living. Food is a big problem right now, not just in terms of obesity. There is legitimacy in our food philosophy and a sense of providing a meaningful service. Management/operations team has generally been pretty reasonable, both for department specialists and store management. (Does not mean stress free)

401k matching up to 5%. 300/sem tuition reimbursement. Vacation (after a year) and sick time (very strict rules to redeem). There is a very modest bonus that is sometimes paid out once/year to some stores. Health/Dental/Vision/Life/Disability insurance available to full time only.

Cons

Pay seems low compared to other grocery, natural or conventional. New department managers can expect low 30k offer, experienced mid 30s. Most clerks can expect 8-9/hour range. Max raise is 3%/year and the store level management has no ability to override this. You can NOT get a raise without getting promoted but most clerk positions in the store are in the same tier so a cashier who learns how to talk vitamins or cook hot bar gets no bump. You will not be allowed to work overtime.

Not much structure or extra hours allotted for training new hires or advancing. For advancing there's no "training program" to apply and interview for so you're best off trying to learn on your own while doing your current job. Gotta be very self motivated to advance and with reduced labor crunches right now it seems even harder to step out of current role and continue learning.

Marketing is wacky and comes up with tons of gimmicks which gets hard to keep up with especially for part timers and affects most of the store. Currently we offer multiple coupons sent over email each week, sporadic text message coupons, and a new point based loyalty program with various reward criteria such as buying certain foods each week or encouraging customers to dance at the checkout. Some customers dig it, others don't but it can get stressful to communicate to employees and execute every week.

Growing pains right now. Huge labor cuts across the board to appear attractive to current and future investors. Trying to grow rapidly and launch a ton of store. Department managers switched over to hourly which protects them from abuse and long hours, but makes it difficult to get things done sometimes and overtime is not an option. Assistant/Store manager still exempt (salaried) so there can be long hours for them.

Pay attention to morale and listen to concerns from workers, even if you can't do much to change the situation (pay/amount of help). Unfortunately there's a ton of responsibility on department managers, and they are not allowed to work over 40 hours a week because of overtime. It's pretty easy to get overwhelmed and let the people feel unheard and unappreciated.

For hourly employees, be patient with your manager if you're feeling upset. Odds are they are also having a hard time.

127 Other Employee Reviews for Earth Fare (View Most Recent)

They don't care about us at all. The top Earth Fare corporate people are a bunch of phonies.

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The in-store culture is usually good. The workers are mostly sympathetic and supportive of each other. The discount is good. Almost makes the groceries affordable. The benefits are good.

Cons

It seems like we're just pawns to the top corporate bigwigs. They "move people around" like we're toys, not intelligent adults trying to make a living, raise families, be participants in our communities. They don't see us as mature professionals. Of course they can't. As such, we would deserve a living wage and/or bonuses, respect, courtesy, recognition for our commitment, and camaraderie from the home office. There's a huge gulf between the corporate office and the stores. It usually feels like we're working to support them, not the other way around. They actually behave as if they are superior to us and drive us as though we were livestock. Doesn't matter how many years we have in. Half the time, they do half-@ssed work or make really transparently stupid decisions and still expect us to smile and follow them with no safe avenue for negative feedback. (You know, "healthy" criticism.) Every day they expect us to do more with less. That, combined with their resistance to any monetary compensation proves that they don't have the desire to make the work force content.

See above. Start acting like this is our livelihood and compensate us accordingly. Not just paying us the lowest amount you think you can get away with, but showing us genuine respect on an individual basis and rewarding us for our contributions.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Alternative lifestyles accepted, you can move up in the company.

Cons

It's not what you know but who you know that gets you places, here. I have see people with very little experience elevated to top, key positions. I have seen titles made up to accommodate people and seen them given authority over people who have worked hard and been dedicated for years. There is no transparency, meetings are kept behind closed doors, there is a lot of secrecy. If you are willing to let go of free thinking and personal ideals, you can go far.

In the past 5 years, it has felt like a company that lacks focus....jumps from one idea to the next, does not value the feedback of staff or customers. Training, focus on ingredients and customer service have all taken a back seat to profits, marketing schemes and races.

There are newer employer reviews for Earth Fare