Earth Fare
www.earthfare.com Fletcher, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Solid for what it is

ProsGood sense of community springs up in and around these stores. Surrounded by people devoted to healthy living. Food is a big problem right now, not just in terms of obesity. There is legitimacy in our food philosophy and a sense of providing a meaningful service. Management/operations team has generally been pretty reasonable, both for department specialists and store management. (Does not mean stress free)

401k matching up to 5%. 300/sem tuition reimbursement. Vacation (after a year) and sick time (very strict rules to redeem). There is a very modest bonus that is sometimes paid out once/year to some stores. Health/Dental/Vision/Life/Disability insurance available to full time only.

ConsPay seems low compared to other grocery, natural or conventional. New department managers can expect low 30k offer, experienced mid 30s. Most clerks can expect 8-9/hour range. Max raise is 3%/year and the store level management has no ability to override this. You can NOT get a raise without getting promoted but most clerk positions in the store are in the same tier so a cashier who learns how to talk vitamins or cook hot bar gets no bump. You will not be allowed to work overtime.

Not much structure or extra hours allotted for training new hires or advancing. For advancing there's no "training program" to apply and interview for so you're best off trying to learn on your own while doing your current job. Gotta be very self motivated to advance and with reduced labor crunches right now it seems even harder to step out of current role and continue learning.

Marketing is wacky and comes up with tons of gimmicks which gets hard to keep up with especially for part timers and affects most of the store. Currently we offer multiple coupons sent over email each week, sporadic text message coupons, and a new point based loyalty program with various reward criteria such as buying certain foods each week or encouraging customers to dance at the checkout. Some customers dig it, others don't but it can get stressful to communicate to employees and execute every week.

Growing pains right now. Huge labor cuts across the board to appear attractive to current and future investors. Trying to grow rapidly and launch a ton of store. Department managers switched over to hourly which protects them from abuse and long hours, but makes it difficult to get things done sometimes and overtime is not an option. Assistant/Store manager still exempt (salaried) so there can be long hours for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to morale and listen to concerns from workers, even if you can't do much to change the situation (pay/amount of help). Unfortunately there's a ton of responsibility on department managers, and they are not allowed to work over 40 hours a week because of overtime. It's pretty easy to get overwhelmed and let the people feel unheard and unappreciated.

For hourly employees, be patient with your manager if you're feeling upset. Odds are they are also having a hard time.

They don't care about us at all. The top Earth Fare corporate people are a bunch of phonies.

(Current Employee)

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The in-store culture is usually good. The workers are mostly sympathetic and supportive of… Cons: It seems like we're just pawns to the top corporate bigwigs. They "move people around" like we're toys, not intelligent adults trying to make a… Advice to Senior Management: See above. Start acting like this is our livelihood and compensate us accordingly. Not just paying us the lowest amount you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Asheville, NC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Alternative lifestyles accepted, you can move up in the company. Cons: It's not what you know but who you know that gets you places, here. I have see people with very little experience elevated to top,… Advice to Senior Management: In the past 5 years, it has felt like a company that lacks focus....jumps from one idea to the next, does not value the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Earth Fare.

Worked for Earth Fare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Earth Fare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Earth Fare CEO Jack Murphy. All reviews posted anonymously by Earth Fare employees.