EarthLink

www.earthlink.net
  www.earthlink.net
There are newer employer reviews for EarthLink

Great place to make a career.

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Rochester, NY
Current Employee - Network Engineer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

EarthLink has a very flexible PTO pollicy and they encourage a work life balance. I've been with the company for more than a decade and you won't find a better place to work in the telecom and IT industry if you are a competent employee.

Cons

Due to the number of mergers and acquisitions it can be tough getting used to the different systems and processes. However, as long as you are able to adapt to changing envoiornments, most things are easy enough to learn and the company understands the ramp up time needed.

250 Other Employee Reviews for EarthLink (View Most Recent)

You're wasting your time here.

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EarthLink full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers make this place better.

Cons

It is very hard to sell Earthlink managed services because they are priced out of the market. Nobody wants to pay an average of $300-400 more for the same service from the LEC, when Earthlink adds a profit margin on-top of the base cost. As a result 90% of customers will not contract services with Earthlink. The remaining 10% must contract because they have no choice, there are no providers servicing their location(s). And when they do sign with Earthlink, there's a very real possibility that the service you sold will fallout due to scheduling conflict, facilities, internal system conflicts, so many things go wrong here I can't even begin to list .. It's a bad position as a career sales person to be in to have worked so many deals and not have made any money.

Management demands performance but will not focus time or energy to coaching and developing talent. My required training was four days through an IT sales program that covers a large IT environment including: layered technology, CPE, hardware, software, security, data center, data connections, etc. Which really should have been a two week curriculum because IT is not an easy concept to grasp, people invest their entire careers to accumulate this type of knowledge that you try cramming into 32 hours. Quick Q*A during but when finished we have very limited very limited support

Management operates under a CYA mentality for the most part and is either you got it or you don't...if you don't then there's the door - show yourself out. What they don't understand or care to do anything about is that people entry level positions need training, support and developed into specific roles to be successful within the organization. At the end of the month when almost everyone on the team does not hit target, with exception of one or two seasoned reps on a team of fifteen - it's not going to help you or your team by bullying or their threatening jobs in open meetings. Many people on your team are going to leave you stranded as a manager because they will not follow you into the fire. The forces that are keeping your reps from becoming successful are both external and internal and you have no control of it at all. The only things you can do and do well are training, coaching, and developing talent so they can be more effective in market.

Marketing's budget is non-existent or they lack of resources to promote customer demand. As a sales rep you will be provided with a lead list with over a 60% inaccuracy rate, leads/opportunities from years past.. When you call into a targeted business expect the contact number to be invalid, or the person is no longer there, email will bounce back. So this means that you will be wasting time researching and prospecting into dead leads. Those few people who are successful at prospecting have external resources. Or seasoned sales representative with over six years experience have the human capital to get orders from large firms from which they have sold to in the past.

Massive layoffs from sales, channel managers, sales engineers, directors, administrators and back around to management. This year my department has let go 40% of the workforce. This means that we will not have job security.

Internal IT systems including CRM software, database and order systems do not function under one UI. The systems are fragmented, locations, customer information can only be access through an agent local to the client. It will take you two days to change an order out and re-engage customers in the sales process. This means that you will be wasting a lot of time navigating between these systems.

Resign.

Evolving Company with Exciting Path Ahead

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at EarthLink full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

EarthLink is a 20-year technology prioneer with a solid new management leadership team and strategy. Personally, I enjoy that each day my work is varied, challenging, and impactful to the company. The company is large enough to offer solid benefits and support, yet not too large where you wonder whether what you do each day actually matters to our customers and colleagues!

Cons

There is a very real sense among many employees that experience, tenure and career pathing are not valued here. I'd encourage our HR leaders to put a lot of energy into righting that ship. Sales and employee training is also in need of attention.

Listen more to the advice from top-performing, tenured employees who might not necessarily be people managers.

There are newer employer reviews for EarthLink

Worked for EarthLink? Contribute to the Community!