East Harlem Tutorial Program

There are newer employer reviews for East Harlem Tutorial Program

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
Former Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work parttime

Cons

Poor pay for too much work

Pay better

4 Other Employee Reviews for East Harlem Tutorial Program (View Most Recent)

Great organization for the community.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time

Pros

Their mission is great and they really strive to help the under-served children of the East Harlem community by providing high quality education.

Cons

It's tough to put into words because it's difficult to imagine that this can still happen in this day and age but the honest truth is that if you are not of a "certain" background or have an Ivy League education you simply will not go far in this organization. You can have great ideas and input but unless you are able to have someone of a certain class present them, they will not be considered and will never come into fruition. It's sad but true. And, although the mission is great etc. as I mentioned above - having this underlying organizational culture only hinders the great work they are attempting to put forth. The vision is there but unless they let "others" into the real decision making process, they will not reach their goals.

Consider running a true analysis of how your employees feel about working there (with a third party facilitator - not someone from EHTP management). You might be surprised at what you find out.

I learned a lot about myself and what I don't want to do.

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at East Harlem Tutorial Program full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial Atmosphere. I had the chance to work on some exciting projects. I also met some really supportive people while I worked there and everyone is generally intent on helping each other out. The office is close to public transportation and there are opportunities for training and growth.

Cons

Low compensation, not the right fit for me. With all of the great things going on, it's still an organization that is run very much haphazardly, and is still reactive instead of proactive. I felt the Senior Management leaders could do a better job of connecting to the community. Bias training would also greatly help the leaders of the organization.

Understand people's inherent strengths and weaknesses before placement

There are newer employer reviews for East Harlem Tutorial Program