East West Bancorp
www.eastwestbank.com Pasadena, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

I took a substantial pay cut just so I didn't have to work here anymore.

Commercial Banking Officer (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

ProsMy previous company (United Commercial Bank) was acquire by East West, which had been our largest competitor. In retrospect, I may not have been the most cooperative holdover, and they were at least patient enough to let me carry on while my work performance suffered. I genuinely enjoyed the work that I did and I don't think the employees were terrible people. The HQ is in Pasadena, which is a nice area.

ConsIt's been quite a few years and I still feel a strong dislike for this company. I feel that the culture is a bit negative, and from my perspective, there was a bit of mistrust. It may have been situational, since we were acquired, but I know it wasn't just me. Many of the ex-UCB employees left when they could. Some of the EWB employees that I befriended were unhappy also. I never felt welcomed as an employee, the department didn't welcome us, people didn't go out of their ways to introduce themselves. It took a lot of effort, we had two different bosses/department heads that were jostling for positioning, and I felt like the red headed step child until the day I left.

Pay is pretty low, the company is a bit petty, and while they do offer work sponsorship, I felt that it was a bit exploitative. It's practically indentured service from the loan assistants that I had talked to.

The middle managers/team leaders were not that smart, competent, or adept as leaders. I will concede that this may be true of this banking niche in general, at least from my outlook (I was pretty young/immature back then) Those with ambitions should not stay as the opportunities are not merit based, but rather relationship oriented. Exit opportunities are not great; I had a difficult time breaking into mainstream banks since no one outside of the Chinese-American banking circle knows about EWB, despite it's size and "prestige."

Good friendly staff

Customer Service Representative Floater (Current Employee)
    Cupertino, CA

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good friendly staff, utilize chinese speaking skills, not much stress Cons: very little opportunities to move up, tedious and repetitive work Advice to Senior Management: praise employees No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Careful which superior you trust

Loan Monitoring Administrator (Former Employee)
    El Monte, CA

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time for less than a year

Pros: Big on promoting within, company tries to foster a sense of working… Cons: Subpar benefits, office politics can lead to terminations, some will trust… Advice to Senior Management: Don't allow rogue Payroll Supervisors to run the show, give… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on East West Bancorp.

Worked for East West Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at East West Bancorp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for East West Bancorp CEO Dominic Ng. All reviews posted anonymously by East West Bancorp employees.