There are newer employer reviews for East West Bancorp

Like a family

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Arcadia, CA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at East West Bancorp part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people
Everyone is a team player

Cons

Not much of a chance to advance

65 Other Employee Reviews for East West Bancorp (View Most Recent)

Don't work here

Current Employee - Commercial Banking Officer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at East West Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing I can think of.

Cons

I will start by saying that I have work for many different banks and hands down it doesn't matter if you work on the retail side or if you work on the commercial side it is terrible here.

First off the pay sucks. Unless you're in upper management right next to Dominic, your pay is going to be terrible.
    The culture here is bad, way too many chinese people here and they all have very traditional chinese views on work, inter personal interactions and just about everything else you can think of.
    The HR department here in Nor Cal is a complete joke because it consist of only 1 person. Yep, 1 person for their whole HR team. And you think she doesn't play favorites you are wrong.
    Also, the management here is really bad, they always micro manage and never tell you the truth. Fear and deceit is all that you get.

So you wonder why people work here? They hire very easily, if you use EWB as your stepping stone then that's fine but stay here too long you might develop a tumor of some sort.

Work on your HR dept.there is all kinds of harassment happening within this company and no one cares. People are being treated badly and under paid.

I took a substantial pay cut just so I didn't have to work here anymore.

Former Employee - Commercial Banking Officer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at East West Bancorp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My previous company (United Commercial Bank) was acquire by East West, which had been our largest competitor. In retrospect, I may not have been the most cooperative holdover, and they were at least patient enough to let me carry on while my work performance suffered. I genuinely enjoyed the work that I did and I don't think the employees were terrible people. The HQ is in Pasadena, which is a nice area.

Cons

It's been quite a few years and I still feel a strong dislike for this company. I feel that the culture is a bit negative, and from my perspective, there was a bit of mistrust. It may have been situational, since we were acquired, but I know it wasn't just me. Many of the ex-UCB employees left when they could. Some of the EWB employees that I befriended were unhappy also. I never felt welcomed as an employee, the department didn't welcome us, people didn't go out of their ways to introduce themselves. It took a lot of effort, we had two different bosses/department heads that were jostling for positioning, and I felt like the red headed step child until the day I left.

Pay is pretty low, the company is a bit petty, and while they do offer work sponsorship, I felt that it was a bit exploitative. It's practically indentured service from the loan assistants that I had talked to.

The middle managers/team leaders were not that smart, competent, or adept as leaders. I will concede that this may be true of this banking niche in general, at least from my outlook (I was pretty young/immature back then) Those with ambitions should not stay as the opportunities are not merit based, but rather relationship oriented. Exit opportunities are not great; I had a difficult time breaking into mainstream banks since no one outside of the Chinese-American banking circle knows about EWB, despite it's size and "prestige."

There are newer employer reviews for East West Bancorp

Worked for East West Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!