There are newer employer reviews for Easter Seals

Good place to work but too much turn-over

I worked at Easter Seals

Pros

Fun and overall supportive staff who are very good ABA practitioners. The system they use, the early start Denver model, is a very strong modality.

Cons

The work, while incredibly rewarding was repetitive and quite emotionally draining. I saw a lot of challenging family situations; be ready for intensity!

Maintain your talent by paying them market wages. Offer support and raises. Make sure your program supervisors

159 Other Employee Reviews for Easter Seals (View Most Recent)

Expanded way too quickly and quality of care has continued to sink

Former Employee - Behavioral Interventionist  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Behavioral Interventionist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Easter Seals full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned a lot while working here, especially early on, because the quality of the program was high and the atmosphere was very team-oriented. When they suddenly had to bulk up staffing to fulfill a huge new contract with Kaiser, though, things began to unravel.

Cons

No sense of community. High turnover. Inadequate training - specifically hiring inexperienced Behavioral Interventionists who did not receive enough training or ongoing support and guidance. Benefits and starting pay were also cut during this time. The review process was disorganized and inaccurate, relying on feedback on the quality of my work from a supervisor who never observed me or responded to my emails or phone calls about the case we worked on together.

I actually feel sorry for the management because they were clearly in over their heads and could not manage. Most of the managers I met were very dedicated to the cause, but there were simply not enough hours in the day or resources to keep the program afloat.

Easter Seals Midwest: Anatomy of a Failed Nonprofit

Former Employee - Community Living Instructor  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Community Living Instructor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Easter Seals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Camaraderie with coworkers; generous vacation hours; rewarding work with cognitively disabled and autistic individuals. That's about it.

Cons

Unresponsive, sometimes hostile upper management; high turnover; nepotism; low pay; staff are seen as numbers to fill staffing patterns, not people; no raises; retaliation on direct care staff when complaints are made about management; run by incompetents. This used to actually be 2 failing agencies that merged, and took on the Easter Seals name while still maintaining old policy. It's kinda like taking a Kmart shirt and sewing a Polo logo on it. In the end, it's still an inferior product. Work here if you're a masochist.

Figure out that establishing communication with staff and treating them with respect instead of just paying them lip service will keep your houses in order. Stop acting like the problems in houses are staff-related: 90% of the time, the problem lies with supervisors and managers. Stop sticking up for incompetent managers. If staff after staff complain about a certain manager, chances are that that manager is doing a terrible job.

There are newer employer reviews for Easter Seals

Worked for Easter Seals? Contribute to the Community!