Eastman Chemical
www.eastman.com Kingsport, TN 5000+ Employees

A very diverse company with a wide variety of opportunities, demanding of your time and personal/ professional growth.

Operator (Former Employee)
Longview, TX

ProsEastman in Longview, TX has some of the highest pay rates in our area. The training and job education is extensive and on-going; you will re train annually and updates to training documents are issued regularly. Safety is a high priority and any issues that arise are reviewed and discussed in depth on all levels, so you feel like you have an input and are made aware of every hazard possible. Commitment to safety and sharing of information with employees at all levels is something the company does very well.

ConsYour time at Eastman initially will be learning your work site and getting accustom to the schedule. There will be tons of computer based training about the company and safety practices to be completed within a designated time, in addition to learning job responsibilities and mentoring at your department level. After about 3 months, you will be scheduled to attend Eastman Learning Center, an onsite training facility with faculty that will guide you through in depth self paced learning and labs. This is all great for creating a skilled workforce and giving you confidence in your co-workers, but it becomes overwhelming. Much of the work at the learning center is done on your own time with books and disc to be studied at home. When working a 12 hour rotating shift and trying to balance sleep and family time, it is way too much to be expected. I have never felt so incapable and slow to learn on a new job as I did at Eastman. My time at the job was stressed and needing to add additional time onsite and at home without pay- to meet the requirements for the school was nerve wracking; driving in on my days off to attend the school felt invasive to my family time. You often work with same crew on days and night for years, so you better like each other

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there is way too much too soon. Management needs to monitor and re- evaluate the amount of information and training to be sure it is learned and remembered, if they want good workers.

This company has a huge disconnect between middle management and direct supervisors.

Chemical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Kingsport, TN

I worked at Eastman Chemical

Pros: Flexible work schedule allows employees to work four 9 hour days and have… Cons: Although the direct supervision is competent, their hands are typically tied by the other 6 levels of management above them. The pyramid of management… Advice to Senior Management: Value your current employees, otherwise you will continue to train engineers… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good and challenging

Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Pros: International global company with challenging work environment Cons: fairly political in management style More
There are newer reviews on Eastman Chemical.

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Eastman Chemical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Eastman Chemical CEO Mark J. Costa. All reviews posted anonymously by Eastman Chemical employees.