Great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Controls Engineer
Current Employee - Lead Controls Engineer

I have been working at Eaton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Eaton hosts a variety of good people to work with. I don't generally have issues getting along with people here. I see them trying to improve things on a regular basis even if it's not too effective all the time.

Cons

It's not too bad yet, but the yearly reviews and "apex" goals are getting a bit tiresome and overly micro-managed.

Advice to Management

What you measure is what you get. If you set a goal and measure number of E-Stars sent, you lean how well we followed orders to send E-Stars. You don't get a reading of participation, you don't create an atmosphere of congratulations or sharing in achievement. Instead, when I get an E-Star, I assume someone is meeting their APEX goal. Instead, foster the atmosphere simply by doing it rather than by requiring it. Requiring patents is even worse. You're forcing us to waste our time trying to fill a goal even if we have no good ideas. This is what causes us to do something stupid and useless and sell it as good for the sake of fulfilling a goal. Teach us how to do patents and what is patentable then reward people sufficiently and they'll WANT to come up with ideas. Requiring it makes us simply want to quit. Offshoring... As much as you think it saves you money, working with a team overseas is difficult, morale-decreasing, and painful. Less gets done in more time, the people get frustrated, and we can say nothing about it because we're forced to use them. If you want a presence outside the US, have them do business with people outside the US. For business in the US, keep the people working on it in the US.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Lie about company policies left and right

Current Employee - Cell Operator in Lincoln, IL
    Current Employee - Cell Operator in Lincoln, IL

I have been working at Eaton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, (most) coworkers have patience to train you, lots of benefits (paid gym membership, small discounts to many stores, great insurance, tuition reimbursement). Able to apply for a higher position (but based on seniority to get it).

Cons

You get told that the company's number one priority is safety, but sometimes it's obvious that production is more important. In the factory that i work, there is no air conditioning. Be prepared for very, very hot summers while working about 60 hours a week. I go to school full time, but no flexibility in my work schedule; you will have to fit schooling around your job.

Advice to Management

Use the company's policies, but try to put some of your own experience and thought into how you work. It's always great to think outside the box

Nothing to write home about.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Eaton full-time

Pros

Good retirement benefits. Department has a pension plan and 401k.

Cons

Uncompensated overtime is an unwritten expectation. Review process for compensation adjustment is unfair, arbitrary, and is more focused on relationships than results.

Advice to Management

Former sales people make poor field service engineer managers.