Eaton

www.eaton.com

Great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Controls Engineer
Current Employee - Lead Controls Engineer

Pros

Eaton hosts a variety of good people to work with. I don't generally have issues getting along with people here. I see them trying to improve things on a regular basis even if it's not too effective all the time.

Cons

It's not too bad yet, but the yearly reviews and "apex" goals are getting a bit tiresome and overly micro-managed.

What you measure is what you get. If you set a goal and measure number of E-Stars sent, you lean how well we followed orders to send E-Stars. You don't get a reading of participation, you don't create an atmosphere of congratulations or sharing in achievement. Instead, when I get an E-Star, I assume someone is meeting their APEX goal. Instead, foster the atmosphere simply by doing it rather than by requiring it.

Requiring patents is even worse. You're forcing us to waste our time trying to fill a goal even if we have no good ideas. This is what causes us to do something stupid and useless and sell it as good for the sake of fulfilling a goal. Teach us how to do patents and what is patentable then reward people sufficiently and they'll WANT to come up with ideas. Requiring it makes us simply want to quit.

Offshoring... As much as you think it saves you money, working with a team overseas is difficult, morale-decreasing, and painful. Less gets done in more time, the people get frustrated, and we can say nothing about it because we're forced to use them. If you want a presence outside the US, have them do business with people outside the US. For business in the US, keep the people working on it in the US.

Other reviews for Eaton

Engineering intern

Current Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Galesburg, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Galesburg, MI

Pros

Pretty good pay for an intern in Michigan. Work is challenging and relevent. Bosses are pretty cool

Cons

Not really too much to complain about. I have enjoyed my time at Eaton over the last two years.

I'm pretty happy with the buisness over all. It was pretty good working there.

Nothing to write home about.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

Pros

Good retirement benefits. Department has a pension plan and 401k.

Cons

Uncompensated overtime is an unwritten expectation. Review process for compensation adjustment is unfair, arbitrary, and is more focused on relationships than results.

Former sales people make poor field service engineer managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Eaton.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!