Eaton

www.eaton.com
  www.eaton.com
There are newer employer reviews for Eaton

Development programs are very good

Current Employee - Development Program Participant (Entry-level) in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Eaton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I started my career with Eaton in one of their development programs, which are 2-3 year rotational programs for which you spend one year at a time working in a particular job before moving to another city and a different job. The idea is to introduce you to the business while you develop a range of job skills and experiences. I've so far been very happy with how I've been treated and compensated. Eaton seems to place of a lot of emphasis on making sure development program participants are happy and interested in their jobs. Most people at my large office work normal hours, which suggests good work-life balance to me.

Cons

The industries Eaton is in aren't very interesting, the company culture isn't fast-paced, and a lot of their plant locations are in the middle of nowhere. Packing up and moving every year for 2-3 years can be a little difficult.

Upper managers I have worked with seem to have much worse work-life balance, which is a concern to me if I stay with the company. I work around 40 hours a week and am fine with that, but I would be unhappy to work the kind of hours some of the upper managers in my division work. That might be a generational thing, to think higher compensation and greater authority is worth working 60+ hours a week, but it wouldn't be worth it to me.

510 Other Employee Reviews for Eaton (View Most Recent)

Very HR Focused and ethically sound company.

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well and upward mobility is ok. Bonuses are paid well.

Cons

Many Silos. A few terrible middle managers can control a division with out any repercussions to their decisions. They have some bad managers.

Listen to employees. Get rid of the managers that are consistently complained about. Don't promote them! Get HR out of the meetings. Makes them less productive.

Best Company I have ever worked for.

I worked at Eaton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company is by far the most business savvy, yet employee friendly, organization I have ever worked for. They do an outstanding job of setting goals, communicating expectations, providing training and resources to get the job done, listening to employees' ideas and letting them help make changes that makes the work easier, and the pay is strong, and benefits are better than any other that I have had.

Cons

There are some areas in the organization where certain leaders seem to move up together. If you are in that "herd" you can be sure of being pulled up the chain as your buddy gets to his next job. These are good people with good skills, but it is unsettling to see the inevitable ripple effect of them following each other through the organization. It makes people who are not a part of that "chain" feel that they really don't have a chance of obtaining certain jobs. Thank goodness this is ONLY a pocket or two ... for the most part, I do feel there is real opportunity for everyone who wants to learn and grow.

Keep doing what you are doing. Eaton is the best ... it's up to you to help maintain that status. Sandy, you are a brilliant leader and role model. When you retire, please help the Board understand the importance of maintaining the values that have made Eaton such a special place. Your successor needs to value "doing the right thing" as much you do and be as concerned about all segments of the business as you are. A strong leader is so important.

There are newer employer reviews for Eaton