There are newer employer reviews for Eaton

Intense and exciting product development

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Moon Township, PA
Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Moon Township, PA

I have been working at Eaton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Extremely strong upper management, through the hard economic times in 2008-2010, Eaton opted to force a majority of the workforce to take 4 weeks of unpaid leave throughout the year rather than implementing broad spectrum layoffs. While this was a bit painful for everybody, it was a much better alternative to losing talented staff and having to rebuild after the economy picked back up. You get a sense that employees and especially long term employees are taken care of, rather then thrown on the dustbin to hire younger, cheaper replacements. Work life balance was stressed, if extra time off was needed for family reasons, management was understanding and flexible. Our engineering group feels like family rather than a cold corporate workplace, particularly in the Cherrington, PA office. I was on an engineering team responsible for new product development of meters and relays, and we were always very busy with new product development. The hours could be long, but you were never worried about running out of things to do. Talented engineers could expect to be able to grow with their abilities within the company.

Cons

The biggest worry I have is a stubborn streak in upper management to outsource to India small to large portions of new product development. I spent about half of each year working long hours to pick up the pieces of outsourced work product and refactor it into something that could be released to customers with pride. There is a culture of inertia in staffing up internal engineering resources to handle the demand for new product development. Senior engineers will find themselves spending 30-50% of their time on conference calls in the early morning with Indian outsourcing companies, and late hours in the day trying to improve the output of these companies into something that can pass quality inspections to be put into end products. If you can manage to get your foot in the door and are a highly capable engineer, you will be valued and find a long term place in the company, but getting in can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Reduce your reliance on outsourcing! Spend more time building internal engineering teams to a critical mass to be able to deliver world class products in a timely manner.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Eaton is a dynamic place to work- great people, opportunities for growth and development, and values everyone supports.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Eaton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eaton has a values-based culture and builds its reputation on doing business right. Our people are our greatest asset and it shows. You have to be at work at least 40-50 hours a week and it makes such a difference in your quality of life when you truly enjoy being around your coworkers. I have made some lifelong friendships and professional connections while being at Eaton, and those are invaluable for me. Everyone is really happy and enjoys what they do. We hire really great people!

Cons

Compensation and benefits are slightly above market value, but you might be able to get a higher-paying job somewhere else. I think the benefits, work-life balance, values, opportunities for growth, and corporate culture is what keeps people here. Eaton has a traditional culture. It isn't a start-up tech company and doesn't have all the bells and whistles that might come with a trendy new company.

Advice to Management

Try to continue to maintain internal equity and reward accomplishments more frequently.

2. Extremely professional in every area. Concern and care of employees is obvious to any who work there.

Former Contractor - NPD Analyst in Moon Township, PA
    Former Contractor - NPD Analyst in Moon Township, PA

I worked at Eaton as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

This company is willing to look at workers who are older and give them the opportunity to do a job.

Cons

I really can't think of any at this moment

Advice to Management

Keep giving opportunity to those who have been in the workforce for years.