Eaton

www.eaton.com

Intense and exciting product development

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) Moon Township, PA

ProsExtremely strong upper management, through the hard economic times in 2008-2010, Eaton opted to force a majority of the workforce to take 4 weeks of unpaid leave throughout the year rather than implementing broad spectrum layoffs. While this was a bit painful for everybody, it was a much better alternative to losing talented staff and having to rebuild after the economy picked back up. You get a sense that employees and especially long term employees are taken care of, rather then thrown on the dustbin to hire younger, cheaper replacements.

Work life balance was stressed, if extra time off was needed for family reasons, management was understanding and flexible. Our engineering group feels like family rather than a cold corporate workplace, particularly in the Cherrington, PA office.

I was on an engineering team responsible for new product development of meters and relays, and we were always very busy with new product development. The hours could be long, but you were never worried about running out of things to do. Talented engineers could expect to be able to grow with their abilities within the company.

ConsThe biggest worry I have is a stubborn streak in upper management to outsource to India small to large portions of new product development. I spent about half of each year working long hours to pick up the pieces of outsourced work product and refactor it into something that could be released to customers with pride. There is a culture of inertia in staffing up internal engineering resources to handle the demand for new product development. Senior engineers will find themselves spending 30-50% of their time on conference calls in the early morning with Indian outsourcing companies, and late hours in the day trying to improve the output of these companies into something that can pass quality inspections to be put into end products. If you can manage to get your foot in the door and are a highly capable engineer, you will be valued and find a long term place in the company, but getting in can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce your reliance on outsourcing! Spend more time building internal engineering teams to a critical mass to be able to deliver world class products in a timely manner.

Eaton is a dynamic place to work- great people, opportunities for growth and development, and values everyone supports.

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Eaton full-time for more than a year

Pros: Eaton has a values-based culture and builds its reputation on doing business right. Our people are our greatest asset and it shows. You have… Cons: Compensation and benefits are slightly above market value, but you might be able to get a higher-paying job somewhere else. I think the benefits, work-life… Advice to Senior Management: Try to continue to maintain internal equity and reward accomplishments… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Accountant

Accountant (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

I worked at Eaton part-time for less than a year

Pros: Valuable training. People will have to deal with multi-tasks, which makes… Cons: Focus on policies and rules, which is a little too… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Eaton.

Worked for Eaton? Contribute to the Community!