former electircal engineer

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer
Former Employee - Electrical Engineer

Pros

Benefits were good. Clean and safe working environment. Did not have any problem getting computer equipment or software. Free coffee makers throughout the building.

Cons

Management by the bean counters. Much in-fighting by the mid level management. Little to no lab support such as engineering techs and supplies. Much of the development prototypes were outsourced and I had to do spend many evenings in the lab reworking circuit boards. Trying to deal with design centers in India and China was very counter-productive and had included late night teleconferences at odd hours due to the time differences between Suzhou China, Mumbai, India and the U.S. I was given the 2 minute notice on my layoff last year.

Advice to Management

Stop the in-fighting, Redefine what the Chinese and Indian design centers roles are as they don't really get it yet. Hire some lab technicians who can solder and fabricate. Tell the accountants that this quarters' results don't mean the end of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Eaton

1. Business Structure and Philosophy

Former Employee - Electrical Division
    Former Employee - Electrical Division

Pros

Eaton is a name that holds a good following & recognition in the automotive industry. The philosophy of the Eaton mission statement (...to be our customers' best supplier, providing distinctive and highly valued products, services and solutions) is reaching down to the other divisions in which Eaton is now establishing a position.

Cons

The philosophy and vision may be projected to the other divisions (i.e the electrical) however, it appears that perhaps it is more of a "checklist" item to comply with rather than a core business mindset. The mindset in the electrical division persents more of a "mom and pop" we do it our way independency versus we are a corporation and we share good business practices, we are not trying to protect "our turf" within the division. There is improvement -- but the vision is long from being a bit of a blurr...

Advice to Management

Get to the grass roots level - peel back the "rhetoric" and visit the facilities. See what impact "the vision" really is having on the local level. Dig in a bit deeper than the "business plan" that protects a divisions position as managers want to protect their visions versus a solid business strategy. And really HR needs to focus on supporting employees not trying to have management debilate them and then usher them out (even if with a package). In todays market with the number of reductions -- hatch jobs on an employees values and sensibilities is not necessary before eliminating their position and them. This is not sour grapes comment -- just you need to really get a better hold on what is the root issue in a facility and how are employees truly working together "or is it just business as usual that lets poor systems and practices isolate people and make it a sandbox mentality versus a think out of the box mentality'.

2. Eaton Work Experience

Current Employee - Commodity Manager
    Current Employee - Commodity Manager

Pros

Good place to work with some good benefits.

Cons

Limited career growth opportunities for its employees.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for talented individuals.