Ebates

www.ebates.com
  www.ebates.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ebates

Great product, but unpleasant culture, no great perks - truly hated worked here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ebates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At it's core, Ebates is a great product. Nothing groundbreaking - just excellent affiliate marketing. The CEO seems to have a lot of intrinsic leadership skills, however, he does have the ability to fix all of the so much, but seems to choose not to. Loved my transportation stipend.

Cons

I spent over 2 years at Ebates and observed the following:

1. These reviews speaking to an excellent culture are likely fake - Ebates recently hired a contractor to make it appear a more pleasant place to work

2. Want to work here? Hope you enjoy some good, old fashioned hazing! You will be required to sing in front of the entire company your first week. These days you can bake something instead, however, the main objective is clearly to embarrass new employees. It's painful to participate in and painful to watch a new coworker, likely trying to gain their footing at a new place, struggle.

3. Try not to be a woman. I've experiences awful behavior from male VPs on several occasions. Whether a comment encouraging me to make my hair more blonde, or a comment on my pants, this became the norm during my tenure at Ebates. I actually do not believe any these comments were made with any malicious or inappropriate intention, they sure did make me feel uncomfortable.

4. Don't get sick. Seriously - no sick days. Couple that with a great open format office and things get passed around quickly. To be fair, they are quite flexible when people need to work from home.

5. People get really stressed and nasty during the holiday season. Maybe this is the case across ecommerce, but it something that the exec team could easily combat if they wanted.

6. Last year we got our MBOs in November. Yes. NOVEMBER.

7. Compensation is not competitive. Very little opportunity for career growth.

I hope Ebates great success and there is no malicious intent in this review, I would have wanted to know about these experiences before joining Ebates.

Stop condoning bad behavior, ask your employees for feedback, deliver MBOs on time, stop forcing new employees to sing - try welcoming them in a friendly manner.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Ebates (View Most Recent)

Like high school all over again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ebates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty easy job and laid back work environment. Ability to telecommute at times.

Cons

Required to sing and dance like a monkey as a new employee in front of everyone during the weekly Friday company meeting. High turnover rate and low pay. High school like work environment, a lot of cliques. Questionable or down right shady business practice of not transitioning contract workers over to a FT employee after the 90 day trial period and just stringing them along longer as a contract employee. For instance, the majority of the people in the accounting department.

On a side note, there appears to be a good amount of "suspect" positive reviews that all showed up in the span of two days of each other, odd given how there are only about 100 employees at Ebates.

A cutting edge start up with a warm family feel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ebates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like collaborating with smart people to solve interesting and unique challenges, then you will find a good home here. The work ethic is dedicated yet balanced and the staff is a diverse mix.

With a presence in a growing number of international markets and products rolling out on a broad spectrum of devices, there is a lot happening all the time. This is a consumer focused firm where everyone understands that the highest value comes from pleasing the customer.

Cons

Growing fast and working fast means that communications can get crossed. New folks being hired all the time means that there is a great deal of "learning as you go".

Never stop putting the customer first.

There are newer employer reviews for Ebates