There are newer employer reviews for Ebix

Your skills will be challenged in creating software solutions for very large Firms in the Financial Services Industry!

I have been working at Ebix

Pros

An Ebix employee will work on projects geared toward creating straight through insurance processing (life and annuities) for the very large players in the Financial Services and Insurance industries. This would include exposure to clients like Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo, Edward Jones, Ameriprise and Fidelity Investments, as well as insurance carriers like MetLife, Prudential, John Hancock and Pacific Life. I've seen others comment that supervision could be better. In my world I see this as the autonomy for a self-starter and creative thinker to develop new ideas and solutions to solve client needs and industry problems.

Cons

Compensation is "Fair" but the company does a poor job of following up on regular employee performance reviews and recognizing outstanding performance. Benefits are good with 401K, Medical, gym membership, etc. Overall, I'd say that there is a lot more that I like about Ebix than I dislike and therefore, to me, it is a great place to work. The immediate leadership at the Vice President level is nothing short of outstanding and these leaders are completely accessible to their employees and committed to their success. Working with them is what makes Ebix a great place to work.

1. Create a program for requiring annual performance reviews. If such a program exists today employees are not aware of it and it is not being enforced.
2. The company has had 47 consecutiive quarters of record earnings performance. How about an across the board salary bump to match CPI?

71 Other Employee Reviews for Ebix (View Most Recent)

Truly awful place to work as a developer

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Ebix

Pros

Starting pay, basic benefits (health insurance), and vacation time are all pretty average. If you're a below average developer looking to blend into the background and collect a paycheck, then it's an OK place to work.

Cons

I really can't offer up a more scathing indictment of this company if you're in a technical position, want to take pride in your work, and want to be recognized and fairly compensated for your accomplishments and contributions to the company. After the company that I worked for was bought by Ebix, I watched the entirety of an extremely skilled professional development staff with decades of experience in financial services applications dissolve and be replaced completely with untrained overseas developers on H1B visas, many of whom had only a couple of years of basic programming experience, sometimes not even with the technologies that were being used. By every conceivable metric, the quality of the software and the company's reputation with its clients suffered because of this.

Expect no support or encouragement from upper management: any suggestions that were made to improve the working environment in the office or the quality of our platform were denied or simply ignored. Product directions and promises made by management simply roll downhill and are expected to be implemented with no input from technical resources and no support. Accountability among management is non-existent with more time being spent trying to blame other departments for failures or cover them up than is spent trying to address underlying issues. I have never worked in a less honest and more dysfunctional corporate environment.

Add to this the fact that you can expect to hear constant press releases from the CEO about record earnings quarter after quarter, but that raises or compensation for rank-and-file employees are simply not given. You can expect to work for years without your salary even keeping pace with inflation. A complete ban on flex time, working from home, etc. (except for senior management, which gets all sorts of dispensations) that are becoming a basic perk used to keep employees happy and maintain a work-life balance shows that management views employees as no more than cogs in a machine.

If you consider yourself a professional developer who takes pride in their work and wants to work for a company that will appreciate and listen to you, you should not consider a career at Ebix under any circumstances.

Listen to your employees, compensate them fairly, and make a good faith effort to improve morale at the company instead of ignoring them or outright lying to them. Hire people for their skills and give senior resources control over that process instead of simply searching for those willing to work for the lowest possible wage.

Great Place to work, Great people and Good Company

I have been working at Ebix

Pros

The Salary and Benefits packages are very good.
    Company Culture is adequetly balanced with work - life balance
    Senior Managment Experience within the industry is exceptional

Cons

Bad traffic to get to the office depending on your route into the office.
    Flex Time needs to be instituted.

Invest more in US leadership and the gains will be seen in profit and industry marketshare. R&D should also be another area for investment.

There are newer employer reviews for Ebix

Worked for Ebix? Contribute to the Community!