Echo Global Logistics
www.echo.com Chicago, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Think twice

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time

ProsTwo weeks of all-expense paid classroom training in Chicago
Young culture, 'Beer Fridays'
Competitive salary for entry level position
Good place to obtain industry knowledge and experience

ConsMeetings upon meetings (group and one-on-one), day after day, management shadowing you on the phones, and your supervisor sits just feet away from you in an office environment with no walls and no privacy. Metrics are sent out about every two hours. New hires are expected to make 80-100 cold calls, send out two quotes to new clients, achieve 20% talk time on the phones, and add about 30 leads a day (which you aren't allowed to do during office hours). If you have a question or task for your supervisor, they most likely don't have time for you right now because they're stretched thin among 15-20 sales reps.

In December, Echo redesigned its commission structure and nearly all sales reps who were making commission saw a significant decrease in their paychecks - and Echo can change commission anytime it wants to, so we could see another pay cut in the near future. If you're a new hire, you won't make commission for at least a year after you hit the sales floor (unless you get obscenely lucky), and the incentives are few and far between ('free dinner' or 'fancy office chair' are the incentives offered for hitting goals, and they're tough to hit). Also, Echo's Accounts Receivable department exists only to establish and extend credit/buffer days, so you are responsible for obtaining payment from your clients - and commission is based off of what your customers have paid. If your client goes into collections and defaults, you are responsible for about 22% of what they owe...this will be deducted from your paycheck.

When it comes to actually selling, what you find is that you're selling an average product at an average or inflated price in an extremely saturated market. Most businesses you call are very happy with their 'current transportation solution' and have no reason to switch, plus they're annoyed at the amount of calls they get everyday from 3PLs just like you. It's tough to sell on service in an economy where so many businesses just care about price. Bottom line - there are definitely worse jobs out there. These are just things I wish I knew before I took the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees and dangle carrots in front of them - their only motivation to achieve goals right now is to keep management off their back. Coercion is NOT the same as motivation, especially not in sales. Give employees some level of autonomy and privacy, along with challenging but attainable goals & incentives, and productivity will increase.

company review

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics

Pros: The people that I work with are awesome. I am… Cons: The company is growing rapidly, which means growing pains. … Advice to Senior Management: Please take into consideration what your employees are telling you. Many of us have been doing this for years. Many of us feel… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Worst job on the planet

Carrier Sales (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time for less than a year

Pros: Well there are no pros. First of all working in freight, or transportation is one step above being a car salesmen. The only people dumber… Cons: Mid level management is clueless. They think they are so much better than the employees. Especially in the "carrier sales" department. These managers were the… Advice to Senior Management: Yelling at people is not managment. In the AZ office they just yell, literally all day. The employees work in fear daily, not to take… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Echo Global Logistics.

Worked for Echo Global Logistics? Contribute to the Community!

Echo Global Logistics – Why Work for Us?

Take a look at the future of logistics... take a look at Echo. Driven, energetic and motivated – the Echo team is made of like minded individuals with one common thread, an opportunity to jumpstart a career at a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Echo Global Logistics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Echo Global Logistics CEO Doug Waggoner. All reviews posted anonymously by Echo Global Logistics employees.