Excellent place to work

I have been working at EchoStar

Pros

Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated.

Cons

Could improve their benefits especially their insurance benefits.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Spacecraft Engineer I in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Spacecraft Engineer I in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at EchoStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is that you can gain experience to get a better job elsewhere.

Cons

The environment is toxic. There is a bully-victim culture. The different teams do not work well together, and there is open antagonism between different teams. Managers are openly insubordinate to senior managers and badmouth other teams. The Spacecraft Operations Center (SOC) is known as "The Ivory Tower" in the Cheyenne Broadcast Center, because many of the other employees in the Broadcast Center perceive that SOC employees feel like they are better than everybody else. That can make it difficult to interface with other departments. There are very limited opportunities for professional growth. Most of the long time employees have found their niche and have no incentive to train new people. As a new engineer your responsibilities will be mostly technical writing and administrative tasks. There is a feeling that if too much effort is put in to training new people, they will leave the company to get another job sooner. There is a strong emphasis on "the way we've always done things". EchoStar does not want to invest the time in keeping their processes up to date. There is a lot of employee turnover. From about 2004 to 2013 I know of four recent college graduates hired as engineers in the Cheyenne SOC. All of them have now moved on. Three of them left on bad terms, and the other one left the company as soon as he could find a better job. During the same time period I know of three other more experienced engineers who left because they did not like the environment. The Cheyenne engineering team target size was five to six people during these years. The salaries tend to be on the low end of the industry. The bigger problem we had with recruiting was that the Cheyenne area tends to be unappealing to young people. And living in Fort Collins is not acceptable because the distance is too great to fulfill your on-call responsibilities promptly. The Gilbert, AZ office seems not to have as many problems as the Cheyenne office. If you have the opportunity to go there it may be better for you.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of structure. It means management has to do more work on the front end, but once it is in place it will save you so much time it's worth the effort. Make it part of your culture. Be proactive. Be on time, and start meetings on time. Maintain an organized work area. Learn to offer people constructive, timely feedback. An internet personality test that says you're introverted is not a valid excuse to fail to communicate with your employees. Make it happen. Create one set of standards, clearly communicate them to your teams, and apply them across the board to everybody. If a subject matter expert can't articulate the steps in their processes, it's a problem. They need to build those skills or work with someone who can do those things for them. If a process is inefficient, it should be reevaluated and streamlined.

2. Excellent Experience

I have been working at EchoStar full-time

Pros

Open doors when it comes to management. Very large team of people to work with and bounce ideas off of. Scheduled shift work.

Cons

Very large teams. Shift work. Salary could be better for what we do. Most older team members are complacent Usually limited to what you can do by managements knowledge of a project.

Advice to Management

Recognize that when you hire someone with the exact education and experience for the position that they are paid better. It's a bummer to work with someone with no industry experience or education and they make equal to or greater than what you are making.