EchoStar

There are newer employer reviews for EchoStar

Cautiously Optimistic

Current Employee - Engineer I
Current Employee - Engineer I

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company's history serves as an anchor to weigh it down. Relatively recent operating changes are helping to aim things in the right direction and I am cautiously optimistic that the path the company is taking, in regards to engineering at least, is moving to improve communication & processes. Pay is not highly competitive, but it is competitive and in line with the Denver area's averages based on skills, years of experience, and education level, and it turns out that our benefits package is much better than some of my friends' who are also engineers. This is not a silicon valley company, to be certain, but the office environment is casual and open with decent-sized cubicle spaces in several engineering dept locations. The grounds in Englewood back up against a golf course and the weather in Colorado is fantastic a good chunk of the year (even winter, surprisingly). We have a hockey team, the holiday party is a great time, and the upper management of engineering has strong supporters of philanthropy. All of the good press regarding our recent product releases & quarterly profits has helped to launch stock prices to record highs.

Cons

The coffee is terrible. There's no ball pit. The cubicles are gray. The operating changes mentioned in "Pros" aren't fully cemented and so there are quite a few kinks to work out. There are far too many Broncos fans. Documentation is a real sore spot in that I've been told one learns the code via "tribal lore" (though this is also slowly changing).

Keep it up. Make changes slowly, one by one, in order to ensure they are firmly adopted before moving on.

Get better coffee. Some real creamer would be nice, too.

And a ball pit. With a slide.

165 Other Employee Reviews for EchoStar (View Most Recent)

Low pay/ Bad Benifits

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people/Co workers. Working with the technology.

Cons

No matter how long you work for them your max vacation you can earn is 2 weeks. Lack of communication from middle management. The pay is below industry standards and raises are very small. If you don't start at a good salary you are screwed for many years to come.

Let people earn more vacation than 2 weeks even if its after a few years. Don't base salary on one location when other locations have a higher cost of living. They said they were doing a salary adjustment to industry standards (5/2014). Did not happen for all employees.

Great overall experience while working with the company.

I worked at EchoStar full-time

Pros

There were many positive aspects of my work experience with Echostar. The largest being job security. As long as I completed my tasks and responsibilities, my position was guaranteed. The company never had any lay offs of employees.

Cons

There were also challenges during my Echostar experience. One of the greatest challenges being advancement and compensation. However, there was never a dead end, I just had to keep pushing while still performing above and beyond the expectation of leadership.

Some advice to management may be to make communication training and activities mandatary for all employees to attend, including management.

There are newer employer reviews for EchoStar