There are newer employer reviews for Ecolab

My life and time at Ecolab

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Territory Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Good entry level sales job, Learned a lot about Sales. Had a good manager and mentor was really good at selling. The company car and all the tools you got were cool. It was a big company and they sent you to St Paul for training 3 weeks in the first year. Great territory with a good mix of new and current coustomer list. Good way to start out in sales is having accounts your allready managing not to open up and start from scrach. The other guys that started with me were verry friendly and helpfull a real team atmosphere.

Cons

On Call 24-7 to do repairs when I was hired as a salesman.Can someone tell me, why they would want a salesman fixing there dishwasher. They tought us to sell in training and went on and on on how to run out territories but never once showed us how to fix minor things on a diswasher. You get into your trritory and the beeper is going off non stop your running around town trying to fix diswashers. It took away from the time selling and using my time better. Also there was a group of guys that were in and my boss wasent in the click so I was treated like scum.

Advice to Management

Work on your business modle and hier people to do repairs, the coustomer was trained to call Ecolab no matter what. It was weird because a lot of times I could not help I dont have the tools or the experience to fix dishwashers. If they expect me to do that then train us to do so.

Other Employee Reviews for Ecolab

EL the next Johnson Diversey. All hail Proctor and Gamble!!!!

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

You get some degree of freedom. It's fun to have a small amount of control over your pay check.

Cons

The year I spent with Ecolab I was tied to my phone 24-7. No training. I lost a lot of respect from my customers because I was never given the resources and training to do my job. I learned more in one month working for EL's competitor then I did in one year with EL and all their training programs. EL breeds a culture of unmet promises. Every area manager, district manager, and territory manager I met had no problem telling anyone anything they wanted to hear and then conviently forgetting the promises that were made. Never expect your manager to do what he tells you he will do. Never expect pay outs on contests and sales objectives, and don't expect any compensation for gas and other expenses no matter how many times your boss promises to pay you for them. Do however, expect them to sue you if you go to the competition and take a sh-t load of business from them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. What ever you do please keep taking your rural territories for granted. As a competitor your making our jobs easy.

2. Ecolab Rocks!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition and Sourcing Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition and Sourcing Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Ecolab is a stable, growing, global company and leader worldwide in the industry -- our products are need and our market relatively stable. The culture is like a family and people who work here really care about the company. The CEO came in as a marketing professional and advanced to CEO -- he is friendly, thoughtful and approachable. He values the employees and their input. Its just a great place to feel like a person rather than a cog in a wheel.

Cons

There isn't really a central place where people come and go, so its not easy to network and meet people that you don't know. You have to hone your networking skills and make an effort to make that happen.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on workforce planning and continue to make opportunities a built in part of the retention plan.