There are newer employer reviews for Ecolab

My life and time at Ecolab

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Territory Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Good entry level sales job, Learned a lot about Sales. Had a good manager and mentor was really good at selling. The company car and all the tools you got were cool. It was a big company and they sent you to St Paul for training 3 weeks in the first year. Great territory with a good mix of new and current coustomer list. Good way to start out in sales is having accounts your allready managing not to open up and start from scrach. The other guys that started with me were verry friendly and helpfull a real team atmosphere.

Cons

On Call 24-7 to do repairs when I was hired as a salesman.Can someone tell me, why they would want a salesman fixing there dishwasher. They tought us to sell in training and went on and on on how to run out territories but never once showed us how to fix minor things on a diswasher. You get into your trritory and the beeper is going off non stop your running around town trying to fix diswashers. It took away from the time selling and using my time better. Also there was a group of guys that were in and my boss wasent in the click so I was treated like scum.

Advice to Management

Work on your business modle and hier people to do repairs, the coustomer was trained to call Ecolab no matter what. It was weird because a lot of times I could not help I dont have the tools or the experience to fix dishwashers. If they expect me to do that then train us to do so.

reviews filtered by
  1. Ecolab Rocks!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition and Sourcing Specialist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition and Sourcing Specialist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

Ecolab is a stable, growing, global company and leader worldwide in the industry -- our products are need and our market relatively stable. The culture is like a family and people who work here really care about the company. The CEO came in as a marketing professional and advanced to CEO -- he is friendly, thoughtful and approachable. He values the employees and their input. Its just a great place to feel like a person rather than a cog in a wheel.

Cons

There isn't really a central place where people come and go, so its not easy to network and meet people that you don't know. You have to hone your networking skills and make an effort to make that happen.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on workforce planning and continue to make opportunities a built in part of the retention plan.

2. A Honest, Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Credit Representative
    Current Employee - Credit Representative

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

This is a company that cares about its employees--they know that if you are comfortable and happy with the company, you will do better work. Management asks for your input and is quick to ask you what you need. You can believe that they really want to see you succeed at the company and will bend over backwards to help you reach your goals and progress professionally.

The benefits are also great, particularly when you consider how many companies put stipulations on new employees having to be there a year before tapping into those benefits. They offer great health benefits and generous pension plans. Its somewhere you can envision staying with for your entire career.

Enough cannot be said about the fact that once you're with the company, they want to see you stay there. The company isn't a revolving door where they're looking for someone better. They do want to make sure things aren't stagnant so they will help you move along your career path at the company.

Cons

There's a lot of work to be done, sometimes almost too much for one person. The company is cautious to not hire too mny employees which is great because they then don't find themselves issuing layoffs in a recession, but it's also difficult to keep up with the amount t of work to be done when there sometimes just aren't enough people to step up to the plate. In some arenas of the company, you will work on Ecolab holidays (day after Christmas, day after Thanksgiving), though you will still get holiday pay and overtime.

Another honest downside is that while we make and sell necessary products, they're not cheap. So in a recession, a lot of our customers feel the pinch--especially the restaurateurs.

In some sectors of the company, I'll admit it can feel hard to fit it. So if you're a super social person, you'll probably be outgoing enough to avoid any loneliness in the office. But if you're shy you may struggle more to find your niche.

Advice to Management

Please remember to communicate to the people you're manage, and stay in constant tune to how the "average joe' feels at the company. Remember to periodically find out what it's like to be there at the ground level.

There are newer employer reviews for Ecolab