My life and time at Ecolab

Former Employee - Territory Manager  in  Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Territory Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ecolab

Pros

Good entry level sales job, Learned a lot about Sales. Had a good manager and mentor was really good at selling. The company car and all the tools you got were cool. It was a big company and they sent you to St Paul for training 3 weeks in the first year. Great territory with a good mix of new and current coustomer list. Good way to start out in sales is having accounts your allready managing not to open up and start from scrach. The other guys that started with me were verry friendly and helpfull a real team atmosphere.

Cons

On Call 24-7 to do repairs when I was hired as a salesman.Can someone tell me, why they would want a salesman fixing there dishwasher. They tought us to sell in training and went on and on on how to run out territories but never once showed us how to fix minor things on a diswasher. You get into your trritory and the beeper is going off non stop your running around town trying to fix diswashers. It took away from the time selling and using my time better. Also there was a group of guys that were in and my boss wasent in the click so I was treated like scum.

Work on your business modle and hier people to do repairs, the coustomer was trained to call Ecolab no matter what. It was weird because a lot of times I could not help I dont have the tools or the experience to fix dishwashers. If they expect me to do that then train us to do so.

Other Reviews for Ecolab

EL the next Johnson Diversey. All hail Proctor and Gamble!!!!

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

You get some degree of freedom. It's fun to have a small amount of control over your pay check.

Cons

The year I spent with Ecolab I was tied to my phone 24-7. No training. I lost a lot of respect from my customers because I was never given the resources and training to do my job. I learned more in one month working for EL's competitor then I did in one year with EL and all their training programs. EL breeds a culture of unmet promises. Every area manager, district manager, and territory manager I met had no problem telling anyone anything they wanted to hear and then conviently forgetting the promises that were made. Never expect your manager to do what he tells you he will do. Never expect pay outs on contests and sales objectives, and don't expect any compensation for gas and other expenses no matter how many times your boss promises to pay you for them. Do however, expect them to sue you if you go to the competition and take a sh-t load of business from them.

Keep doing what your doing. What ever you do please keep taking your rural territories for granted. As a competitor your making our jobs easy.

If you live to work and have no worldy needs, this is the place for you.

Current Employee - Territory "Sales" Manager
    Current Employee - Territory "Sales" Manager

I have been working at Ecolab

Pros

If you have never done route sales/service, it's a good way to learn a lot FAST. You will have to learn a lot and quick, or you wont' survive

Cons

You will never have a personal life again. You will spend a couple of years of "on the job" training not knowing what you are doing and your customers expecting you to. You will spend twice as much time fixing broken things than selling, yet selling is all the company wants you to do. The longer you stick around in the same position, the less money you will make. You will make collection calls; you will wear every hat imaginable and if you can't get all your work done in a reasonable amount of time your manager will tell you to work evenings and weekends to get caught up and try to frighten you about the economy. Upper management is totally out of touch with what the field personnel deal with, nor do they care. As long as the CEO get's his 7 figure bonus, he can let 1000 people go and not blink about it. This is not a company in any financial trouble, this company managed a modest growth in 08 and yet laid off 1000 people including all the installers who put the equipment into the customers' kitchen for you. Why? Greed, the only answer....

grab a tool bag and try it if you think it's so easy

There are newer employer reviews for Ecolab.

Worked for Ecolab? Contribute to the Community!