Edaptive Computing

There are newer employer reviews for Edaptive Computing

Questionable Motives, Questionable Company

Former Employee - Developer in Miamisburg, OH
Former Employee - Developer in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Edaptive Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are a small company doing very interesting software development and R&D for government SBIR (small business innovative research) contracts. The opportunity to interact with DoD types is very educational. The developers, project leaders, and team leaders are very supportive of each other.

Cons

Upper management seems to have a difficult time staying focused on customer's (US Government) needs, easily getting distracted by "appearances". Many projects are understaffed and people are bounced from one project to another, with little thought on who is best suited to the project. Employees use IKEA 2ft by 4ft tables for desks (cheap, yet everything looks the same), and there are no cubicles (translation, no privacy, and big brother is always watching!). It seems to effect how the company is run on a day to day basis. One of the members of upper management is brilliant when he stays focused on the technology; but even he gets distracted frequently. Others in upper management have severe trust / authority issues. Overall, upper management is secretive, arbitrary with their decisions, and play favorites with their personnel. Salaries are typically 15% to 25% low compared to other government contractors. Performance reviews, performance incentives and bonuses are rarely follow through with as promised, mostly being whittled away to nothing by caveats or restrictions. Over the last two years, turn-over has been about 20%.

Stop micro-managing personnel and let the talented developers do their job unhindered. Pay more and stop being "penny wise and pound foolish" with salaries. Update the employee handbook, because it is woefully out of date, and employees NEED a reliable, concrete resource for the company policies and procedures. Follow through with bonuses and performance incentives as promised at the interview, without all the caveats and restrictions. *REALLY* let employees "run the company that is at their desks". Hire a proper, trained Human Resources Director and knowledgeable IT support.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Edaptive Computing (View Most Recent)

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Current Developer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Current Developer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Edaptive Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best part about my job here is the interesting work I get to do. Diversity of experience gained as a result has been wonderful. Company has been growing over the last couple of years and that has led to a lot of new opportunities. I like the ability to choose my own investments under Fidelity SIMPLE IRA. I like the couple of floating holidays available to me every year. Company has recently acquired new space to accommodate its growth. I like more personal space and privacy that has come with new partitions that have been added. I love my quad core desktop. I like the free food and drinks.

Cons

I would like to see more incentives for job related certifications and training.

Please continue your conversation with the employees. I appreciate the fact that you listen and act on our advice. Please continue to improve processes and procedures. That will be even more important as you grow further.

This is one of the best places to work

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Edaptive Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Over the years I have work at dead end crap jobs that offer nothing in return to their employee except a paycheck. At my previous Job you were just a temp body filling a spot for years on end. They would occupationally offer up the possibility of hiring you on as a full worker but even then there was no raises. The only thing being a permanent employ got you was the option to spend part of you check on health insurance and you could forget about retirement. With Edaptive there is no "will hire you as a temp and see how it goes after a few years". You are hired in as a full employee with health insurance and a matching simple IRA with no vesting period. In the current job market this is a diminishing idea.

In my experience management has always been willing to listen and work with any employee to solve any issues they may have.

Cons

Rapid growth has created office space issues. It seams like we are having to expand the office space every few months

as it was said earlier we need to continue to work though the growning pains that are the result of the great success we are having. Edaptive will need to continue to be adaptive.

There are newer employer reviews for Edaptive Computing