Edaptive Computing

There are newer employer reviews for Edaptive Computing

Questionable Motives, Questionable Company

Former Employee - Developer in Miamisburg, OH
Former Employee - Developer in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Edaptive Computing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are a small company doing very interesting software development and R&D for government SBIR (small business innovative research) contracts. The opportunity to interact with DoD types is very educational. The developers, project leaders, and team leaders are very supportive of each other.

Cons

Upper management seems to have a difficult time staying focused on customer's (US Government) needs, easily getting distracted by "appearances". Many projects are understaffed and people are bounced from one project to another, with little thought on who is best suited to the project. Employees use IKEA 2ft by 4ft tables for desks (cheap, yet everything looks the same), and there are no cubicles (translation, no privacy, and big brother is always watching!). It seems to effect how the company is run on a day to day basis. One of the members of upper management is brilliant when he stays focused on the technology; but even he gets distracted frequently. Others in upper management have severe trust / authority issues. Overall, upper management is secretive, arbitrary with their decisions, and play favorites with their personnel. Salaries are typically 15% to 25% low compared to other government contractors. Performance reviews, performance incentives and bonuses are rarely follow through with as promised, mostly being whittled away to nothing by caveats or restrictions. Over the last two years, turn-over has been about 20%.

Stop micro-managing personnel and let the talented developers do their job unhindered. Pay more and stop being "penny wise and pound foolish" with salaries. Update the employee handbook, because it is woefully out of date, and employees NEED a reliable, concrete resource for the company policies and procedures. Follow through with bonuses and performance incentives as promised at the interview, without all the caveats and restrictions. *REALLY* let employees "run the company that is at their desks". Hire a proper, trained Human Resources Director and knowledgeable IT support.

14 Other Employee Reviews for Edaptive Computing (View Most Recent)

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Current Developer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Current Developer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Edaptive Computing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best part about my job here is the interesting work I get to do. Diversity of experience gained as a result has been wonderful. Company has been growing over the last couple of years and that has led to a lot of new opportunities. I like the ability to choose my own investments under Fidelity SIMPLE IRA. I like the couple of floating holidays available to me every year. Company has recently acquired new space to accommodate its growth. I like more personal space and privacy that has come with new partitions that have been added. I love my quad core desktop. I like the free food and drinks.

Cons

I would like to see more incentives for job related certifications and training.

Please continue your conversation with the employees. I appreciate the fact that you listen and act on our advice. Please continue to improve processes and procedures. That will be even more important as you grow further.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Edaptive Computing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for a small company has been an interesting and rewarding experience. The company has more then doubled in size since I came to the company in 2011. When I came the company had about 20 people and now it is well over 40. When I started management asked me to review all their process documentation. I was impressed with their tenacity in wanting to be efficient with their process and several of the suggestions I made were later implemented. My impression is that Edaptive Computing is a fast moving company that is every changing in most part to its rapid growth.

Not all of the employees at Edaptive work at the Edaptive office which at times seams over-crowded. Several of us are support DOD contracts and work at the client sites. The company has done a good job of making their contracted out employees feel like they are a part of the team. In my experience companies struggle with keeping their client based employees loyal to the company. The company has accomplished this by providing generous salary actions, bonuses, free lunches and company activities such as bowling. Plus whenever I come over to the office there is free food and drink in the refrigerator.

One of the things that Edaptive provides is a matching simple IRA with no vesting period. The company asks employees to open a simple IRA with Fidelity and then the company matches the employees contributions. What is great with a simple IRA is that it is not limited to strictly and mutual funds but can be invested directly into local companies and real estate!

Overall, I am very satisfied with being a part of the Edaptive team.

Overall, I am very satisfied with being a part of the Edaptive team.

Cons

Rapid growth has created office space issues. It seams like they are having to expand the office space every few months.

Continue to work though the growning pains that are the result of the great success you are having. Edaptive will need to continue to be adaptive.

There are newer employer reviews for Edaptive Computing