There are newer employer reviews for Edelman

A place where you can truly grow your career

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Enterpreneurial spirit is one of the company's values - they encourage you to take risks and challenge yourself. If something doesn't work, dust yourself off and try again. That's why so much great work is done here.
2. Opportunities for career pathing - Edelman has a "matrix" organization. You don't move straight up the ladder, you can move laterally, vertically, etc. If you want to try something new, there is a geography track, practice track, GCRM (global client) track to look forward to. If you don't feel like you are fitting into your current role, seek something new or propose creating a new role if possible.
3. Good work-life balance. We work very hard but Edelman is a family-run business and they understand the importance of needing to blow off steam and family time. Employees are given great options for paid time off and the company holds fun events like happy hours to build camarderie in the office.

Cons

The fast pace may not be for everyone. You need to be flexible and able to focus on many things at once, lest you be left behind.

reviews filtered by
  1. Everyday I learn something new - the work is engaging and there are constant opportunities to grow!

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Edelman full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work hard, play hard - If you continue to do good work, Edelman makes sure to reward you for your efforts. The company is very transparent and clearly demonstrate that they care, value, and appreciate their employees. Edelman tends to treat everyone with respect, including the interns. There is no closed door policy because there are no offices, it's a very open environment and people are approachable. Edelman cares about employee growth and work/life balance. There are many company paid outings to gather with your fellow colleagues and let loose a bit. I love that I can wear comfortable clothing to the office everyday! This is not always common in an office setting. Richard Edelman seems to be a very humble, and genuinely nice man.

Cons

Like any agency, at times you are spread to thing or have overwhelming amounts of work. However, Edelman does attempt to try to create a balance as much as possible.

Advice to Management

In my experience, very little hand holding and micromanagement. There is at times red tape which could be scaled back a bit. The trust is there because Edelman professionals are among the best in the business, but at times there is sensitivities about how to approach media or clients etc. The more trust you instill in your fellow colleagues or subordinates, the more they will have the opportunity to grow, learn and get comfortable interacting with different constituents.

If you work in PR, you want to work here.

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

-Training and development: Edelman U, mentoring from direct supervisor, and opportunities to learn management skills at a junior level were invaluable as a young professional. Also received feedback regularly (good or bad) from supervisors which helped me improve and learn consistently.
    -Opportunities to work with top brands and on global accounts: Several accounts I worked on were based in major US and International markets outside of New York, which gave the opportunity to gain experience working in markets other than where I live.
    -Perks and benefits: Amazing benefits and perks available from day one. Felt that Edelman truly created a benefits package that was about the total person not just the professional.
    -Employee engagement: Excellent programs to get involved with co-workers and communities outside the office.

Cons

Work/life balance: provided little flexibility/mobility with the option to work from home. Often had to work on time off and on family vacations. Extremely hard to completely disconnect for even a day.

Review process seemed trivial as I learned that promotion decisions were made before the 360 reviews were complete. It seemed to be more political than based on merit or meeting goals that were set for the year (can be true for a lot of companies, but still disheartening).