There are newer employer reviews for Edelman

Great work environment, but only limited support resources for people below the VP level

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. I feel secure in my job. 2. It is easy to find a mentor within the firm. We have a formal mentorship program, but even without enrolling, it is easy to find industry leaders willing to provide professional and career advice. This has been invaluable for me. 3. My current team dynamic is awesome. I enjoy working with the people on my local team, and we work together to produce outstanding results for our clients.

Cons

1. I have not been provided the technology resources (laptop, compatibility with Mac products, etc.) that are necessary to support high levels of dedication to my clients' accounts. Though our IT department has been updating systems, there seems to be a reluctance to provide those expected to execute the 2. Staffing seems to be heavily weighted toward the senior management side of the business. The ratio of strategists to executors on accounts often seems to be 1:1, where it should be more weighted toward execution. 3. Though my colleagues and I are often asked for opinions on how to conduct client activities, it often seems these are courtesies rather than legitimate requests for input.

Advice to Management

Get real with technology - the folks doing the work for clients run Macs now. IT always complains that Macs aren't secure, but they've made it work for our creative staff in Digital, so it must be possible. Make remote desktop compatible with Macs, or give us laptops like most other professional service firms.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to work. Fosters creativity, provides responsibility, lots of room to grow.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership and mid-management are eager for creative ideas. Employees are given ample opportunity to prove themselves with clients.

Cons

Always on culture. Leadership attempts to stifle it to preserve work/life balance, but be prepared to respond. It's part of the industry, and being available gets you in-line for promotions.

Advice to Management

Protect staff from over-use and burn out. Employees aren't just assets.

A Stand-out Employer Among the Other PR Agencies

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Edelman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Training is much more robust and taken more seriously than at any other agency -Work-life balance (it is what you make it - I've found mine and so have several of my other colleagues) -Many or most teams work cross-practice -Everyone knows Edelman... if you've worked here for any length of time, people seem to take you a bit more seriously as a PR professional -LEADERSHIP - we have exceptional leadership in our office; he's very accessible and focused on making things better for his teams -Edelman NEXT - allows you to carve your own path and how you want to progress within the agency, even if you want to change directions or locations -Working at Edelman Atlanta comes with all the benefits of being at a world-class (arguably the best) PR agency - smart people, our colleagues set precedents and trends all the time and our clients are some that people dream for years of working with -Pretty lax "business casual" dress code, yet we can wear jeans every day

Cons

-Office location and surroundings downtown -Parking (we pay if we're below VP and the deck is NOT very safe) -Non-competitive salary (even after it's been increased, it's still below several other agencies - big and small) -Comp time policy for working outside of workday schedule (but to be fair, that's an agency-wide issue)

Advice to Management

Please, please, please be a little more prudent with who is put into leadership positions, especially those with records of high turnover and employee management issues. And I'd also advise to continue tying to improve compensation for employees - especially in comparison to agencies in town like Porter, MSL, C&W, etc.