Best Public Relations Internship Out There

Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL
Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

At Edelman, interns work incredibly hard and are given a lot of responsibility. Most interns handle a workload of a AAE and add a tremendous amount to their portfolio. You're going to work more than 9-5 but that's standard PR for you! I've found that upper management is really receptive to hearing ideas from all members of the team, including interns, and it was pretty cool being able to contribute to overall strategy as an intern.

Cons

The pay is pretty meager and I think that creates stress for interns, especially when you're there for six months.

Advice to Management

Increase intern pay. As most interns have their bachelor's degree and are expected to work for 6 months, it'd be considerate to adequately compensate them for their work and experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Edelman

1. Wonderful but challenging career

I worked at Edelman full-time

Pros

Edelman is world-class. They cultivate the best strategic minds in the industry - they train professionals to not just be mouth pieces, but true partners and counsel to clients. There is a wonderful range of clients to work on and many growth opportunities, as long as you put in the work and dedication. The people are fantastic - some the brightest - but also fun and wonderful to be around. The leadership really cares about its people. They provided awesome programs to aid in professional and personal development.

Cons

Work-life balance was always a challenge, especially if you had demanding clients but I think that's true of any large agency. It can be easy to burn out if you don't set smart boundaries. There was also office politics (minimal) but again I think that's true of any agency. Edelman seems to be on the lower-end of the scale when it comes to compensation.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it didn't seem that negative feedback in peer reviews of management was taken seriously. Poor managers would still be promoted because they kept clients happy. It might help if there was follow-up or acknowledgement that those managers wore working to improve their management skills.

2. Wonderful people, challenging environment, lots of opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

-Surrounded by smart and motivated people -Senior leadership is forward-thinking and strategic -Cutting-edge thought leadership and innovation; well-respected in the industry

Cons

-Could do a better job of nurturing “non-traditional” career paths, although strides have certainly been made there -New business process can sometimes be cumbersome and complicated -Having so many smart and talented people means we have a tendency to “over-think” - need to focus on providing clean, simple, impactful ideas to clients

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - listening to your employees and taking action. We appreciate and applaud your efforts.