There are newer employer reviews for Edelman

Redefining integrated communications.

I have been working at Edelman full-time

Pros

Global resources and entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Resistant to change, lack of support for new initiatives.

Advice to Management

Embrace knowledge-sharing and new team member performance metrics.

reviews filtered by
  1. Over worked, underpaid, undervalued...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great for your resume.
    High profile clients being great experience.
    Lots of in-house perks, i.e. office parties, outside events, catering, massages, etc.

Cons

Not easy to transition to new position OR new office.
    Upper management doesn't make time to engage and teach level 1 and 2 employees.
    NO sense of team work. Most people are just trying to get ahead for themselves.
    High level employees express no plan to fix continuous problems regarding morale in the office.

Advice to Management

Walk around the office and talk to people.
    Engage with lower level employees....you're upset cause they're not doing their job, and they're frustrated cause they have NO IDEA how their daily tasks are contributing to the bigger picture!!!
    BE PRESENT in the office and at office events! They know you're busy, but would it hurt to try?
    Take a look at the workload your teams have...and the time they have to do it. You'd probably be getting better quality work if you had everyone on the same page.

2. Great work experience, but lots of double standards and too much office politics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You really get to learn a lot at Edelman! Anyone new to the business will get all the training they need starting their career here. If you can get someone from upper management "behind" you, you will excel and do really well. The first three years there, I experienced relative job growth and comparable salary adjustments. There were a lot of employee perks and benefits- probably the most I've ever had at any other company. If you like hard work, are just starting out and need experience, this is the place for you! I thoroughly enjoyed my job here and all that I was able to take away from the experience.

Cons

There was a great salary disparity at all levels- raises were based on who you know, who your team managers are, and what clients you worked for. Once the VIP behind me was let go through "downsizing," there was no more job growth or salary adjustments. I noticed a glass ceiling for minority job growth and advancement- no minority upper level managers, and virtually no minority staff (other than interns) working on projects that were "diversity" oriented! Managers were reluctant to let their good employees advance to other areas of the company. Often, new people or temporary consultants were hired on instead of promoting from within across areas. Seniority didn't really mean much unless you were an Executive level employee. There was a lot of back-stabbing and corporate bickering among staff, double standards for different staff levels and even finger-pointing, blaming and all-around very hostile environment. The micro-managing became unbearable- I had to clock in/out when I used the restroom?? HR was not very helpful- seemingly mediators, but never resolved any issues other than to assist with your exit interview, which by the time you were done with it, your computer was disconnected from the system and you were locked out of any files and your access denied! Communication is the cornerstone of Public Relations- how ironic that Edelman can execute PR events with the best of them, but management had some of the poorest communicators I had ever worked with!

Advice to Management

Get a clue! Undercover Boss is a great show that opens the eyes of out-of-touch bosses- Edelman needs a serious dose of that! My experience was a few years ago, but if things haven't changed much (which from reading other reviews I gather they haven't), try being more open-minded and not so narrowly focused on traditional ways of running a business. Try equality across the board, not by department or levels of management. You need to think outside the box with regards to organizational behavior relative to management and staff, and be just as creative as you are with your PR events. Hire more diverse staff: people who can bring new cultures, ideas and ways of doing things to senior level positions, and not just in their own countries! Hire a company like Accenture to help make Edelman the type of company people expect it to be!

There are newer employer reviews for Edelman