Edelman

www.edelman.com

Best of the PR Agencies, but High Burn Out and Widening Divide between Digital/Traditional PR

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOf all the PR agencies, Edelman is the best. You aren't going to find a PR agency that is more devoted to pioneering new approaches and evolving rapidly to meet the needs of the market. The Edelman Trust Barometer and online training services are standout resources that go beyond what other agencies offer in terms of market resource and continuing education.

While I can't confirm this is absolutely true, Edelman does appear to pay slightly higher than other agencies - at least among junior and mid-level roles.

As far as PR training, if you can pick what agency you pick for, Edelman is the best proving ground for building a PR career. Edelman picks which client it works for, and there's a good mix in vertical and client size (start up to major tech company).

ConsThere remains a divide in treatment and cooperation between the traditional PR and Digital divisions. Digital appears to get some preferential treatment - promotions tend to come faster and they regularly have off-site retreats where the entire region attends training and networking sessions. This added investment in the Digital side is creating resentment since there does not seem to be any specialty trainings/offerings for the traditional PR side.

For general account work, junior and mid-level staff put in LONG hours, which seems to go unnoticed or recognized by senior management. This tends to be the norm in the PR agency world, but Edelman is guilty of burn out among lower level employees as much as the next agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's still ambiguity in Digital vs. Traditional treatment - and this perceived preference toward Digital is creating a lot of resentment across the divisions. Even if these continue, this resentment can be curbed by management being more transparent and proactive in the purpose of these trainings. (Currently it feels like a "hidden secret.")

Edelman can be the stand-out agency if senior management pays closer attention to the volume of hours lower level employees put in. Even if unavoidable at time, extra recognition of long hours and elbow grease (on a personal level) can go a long way in keeping morale high. Eliminate this burn out will also help Edelman retain top talent.

A great environment with fair pay. Hard to balance a life with spouse and kids.

Senior Designer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman full-time for more than a year

Pros: Very generous with bonuses, food and alcohol! Cons: There isn't enough emphasis on work life balance. It is encouraged to be available and on… Advice to Senior Management: Please do not encourage workaholism. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Incredibly disappointing.

Intern (Current Employee) Austin, TX

I have been working at Edelman as an intern for less than a year

Pros: The driven co-workers and wealth of opportunities via Edelman's reputation. The (very few) passionate co-workers. The exceptional senior… Cons: Don't expect to be welcomed here -- this office does not like new competition (i.e. me, an intern) or even their own clients (evidenced by… Advice to Senior Management: Realize there is a clear divide in this office and work to ensure every employee is appreciated. This office is rather two-faced and leaves a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Edelman.

Worked for Edelman? Contribute to the Community!