Edelman

www.edelman.com
  www.edelman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Edelman

Fairly new, but very happy

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman has a reputation of attracting the "best of the best" to work in an environment that is fast-paced, challenging, forward-thinking and engaging. Guess what? The reality lives up to the reputation. I am consistently impressed with the intelligence, competence, forward-thinking management and ideas my colleagues come up with. Senior management is approachable and open to ideas from employees at all levels - a welcome change from some other agency environments - and nearly everyone has a thirst for "more:" learning, living, doing. If you want to learn, to be challenged and see some great things brought to life, Edelman is an ideal place to call home.

Cons

At 500-600 employees, Edelman is one of the larger agencies in Chicago. It spans four floors in the AON center and, truthfully, that kind of change can be a little daunting. That said, management recognizes this and is working to provide smaller group orientations and practice meetings to help orient new hires. Additionally, employees work hard and long hours. Vacation isn't frowned upon, but can be difficult to schedule and take.

I've found Edelman's senior management to be incredibly intelligent, engaging and approachable. They want to see their teams succeed and, thus, are willing to invest time in their employees (at all levels). I'm thrilled to be contributing to the resulting work and learning from these individuals.

975 Other Employee Reviews for Edelman (View Most Recent)

Great People Make All the Difference

Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman DC is a great place to work because of the people who work there. The team comprises smart, hard working, ambitious (but not cut-throat competitive) people who are also fun, funny and kind. Taken collectively, they create a culture that rewards both professional excellence and personal investment. As with any job, the workload varies from challenging to dull and at times there is more work-life balance than others. But, when you are working with people who you truly believe are good people, who want the best for the client and for their team members, you want to put forth extra effort. I think our clients see this in our work too, which is why we have excelled in this market, particularly in recent years.

Cons

While generally, I feel the office is well-managed, there is not always transparency, particularly on compensation issues.

Continue to foster a culture of transparency – be more candid with employees about their performance relative to their peer set and how that impacts compensation. Continue to hold office-wide meetings and to leverage group heads to communicate with employees about strategic decisions and their impact on the office and employees. Also, I hope as the office continues to grow, you work to retain the personal feel and intimacy that makes it such a great place to work. I worry, even now, that we are losing that.

A place that encourages

Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Supervisor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Edelman

Pros

Edelman's many industry awards and significant growth over the last 5 years are well-deserved. The management team is constantly reevaluating the company's strategy and competitive position. The company rewards innovative thinking and permits employees to take risks and try new things.

Edelman's size and prominence attracts top-tier clients and employees often have the opportunity to work on interesting projects that get attention.

Cons

Like all professional services firms, Edelman employees work fairly long hours and are expected to be available by PDA on nights and weekends.

While we have big-name clients, there are plenty of projects that aren't particularly sexy. A single employee's experience will be largely shaped by his clients and team. It is possible to change divisions (e.g., Consumer, Technology, Corporate, etc.), but it doesn't happen often and the employee must go through an interview process much like an external candidate.

Overall, Edelman offers rich opportunities, but an employee must actively pursue them.

There are newer employer reviews for Edelman