Edinburgh Woollen Mill

www.ewm.co.uk

Poor management and little chance for promotion

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat in-store relationships
Job security
Staff discount

ConsNo promotion prospects
External recruitment for middle and senior managers
Regular middle management changes
Overall poor senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time and money in your store and area managers. Some are doing a great job, and getting little support and recognition.
In my experience all store and area managers are recruited externally, if more time was invested in training and developing the staff within the stores, then this would not need to be the case.
Senior/Group level management should be more mindful of their audience when they send out emails to the group, as their wording may not be taken as the motivation-booster they are intended to be. Tone is very difficult to judge through words on a page and can come across exceptionally harsh to the front line workers who are working all hours for minimum wage.
Overall, you do need to spend more time communicating with your staff, but be mindful about the message you want to convey and how your message will be received.

A dynamic and diverse workplace let down by poor C&C and a lack of any positive culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Edinburgh Woollen Mill full-time

Pros: There was a lot accomplished and good successes with plenty… Cons: No raises, bonuses, thanks or recognition for jobs very well done, poor pay and lack of promotions have built an business workplace with a critically… Advice to Senior Management: Directors should turn away from the darkside and see that there is another way. Executives built your business - you need to trust them and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

I did an apprentiship when i was 16 and it was alright.

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at Edinburgh Woollen Mill as an intern for less than a year

Pros: I had a really understanding and caring boss and work… Cons: it can get a bit tedious having to constantly change… Advice to Senior Management: Support your workers. Make sure they are trained in everything… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Edinburgh Woollen Mill.

Worked for Edinburgh Woollen Mill? Contribute to the Community!