There are newer employer reviews for Edmonton Public Schools

great some days, bad some days... that's teaching.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools

Pros

large school district. able to work as a substitute teacher pretty much full time if you know how to market yourself well and do a good job.

Cons

tons of new teachers and not a lot of jobs... if you want to make it in this game you have to be excellent at your profession or you won't make it in this city.

do a better job at hiring good teachers and keeping them in the profession.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools

Pros

Experience is very good because you work with kids

Cons

Boring repetitive but still rewarding! seeing all the kids smiling

Work here!

2. Can't beleive I'm saying this, but "If ony they ran it like a business"

Former Employee - High School Teacher in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Edmonton Public Schools

Pros

Being a teacher has a lot of the perks people associate with it: holidays, good pay, good benefits. Edmonton Public, like most employers in public education met at least this standard.

Cons

Before I begin, perhaps I should say that problems like the ones I'll describe are endemic to teaching to a certain extent - a focus on "accountability" but only for the staff, never for the management; a massaging of data when it comes to "success rates," and a tendancy (in traditional schools, anyway) to do it liek it's always been done. If that works for soem stduetns great. The rest are left to their own devices, with predictable results. Giving the toughest assignments to the greenest professionals is not something we do to doctors, engineers, etc. But we do it with kids. Edmonton Public, like any institution, has the option of charting a different path, joining the present, and finding leaders that can do what's required.

Choose leaders based on who has demonstrated leadership - not based on a pool of people who would like to lead, regarldess of competence. Be bold, find what works, and copy it. We're way behind and there are exemplars of programming and strategy that is far ahead of what we're doing.

There are newer employer reviews for Edmonton Public Schools