Edmunds.com

There are newer employer reviews for Edmunds.com

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of transparency - constant communication to everyone about earnings, strategy, what is working, what isn't, etc.

Wide variety of technology and a lot of smart people. It's a great place to learn.

Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) provides a ton of flexibility in terms of being at the office. There really is no expectation that you be there every day, unless it's required for something specific you have going on that is better suited to being in person (e.g. presentation to executive team, etc.).

Fun, open, engaging office environment. Tries to be a bit like Google offices - wide open spaces, bright colors, couches, TVs, ping pong, video games, free snacks + coffee, in-office happy hours, etc.

Compensation is middle of the road. It's fair by most standards, but it's definitely not paying Google / Facebook / Amazon / other dot com type salaries. Then again, Edmunds is not those companies. So I list this as a pro instead of a con. Being paid fairly is a good thing, right? I mean, we'd all like $3M in stock options, but that's not really a fair barometer to judge all other companies by.

Cons

Note: I gave 5 stars despite the cons listed here because it's still a fun and engaging place to be, which is more than most people get from a job these days. That indicates "Very Satisfied", which I am.

Probably the biggest concern - I don't have a lot of confidence that the strategies in play will result in long term growth, or even maintenance of current revenue. There's just nothing obvious that jumps out as "hey, this is our 30% per year revenue growth engine". It just feels a bit stagnant and grasping at straws to maintain current state. Hope I'm wrong, but it makes it feel like it's a short term spot for me.

Ton of turnover for a company of this size - seems like at least 1-2 people every week. Not necessarily a con, but usually an indicator of something bad.

The wide variety of technology mentioned as a pro also has a dark side - massive complexity, mostly unnecessary. There doesn't seem to be a unifying technology platform strategy; it's a huge patchwork of every open source technology that has been hot at some point over the last 5-7 years.

It's a bit clicky, as some other reviewers pointed out, but that hasn't really been a problem for me. It's much like other places - there's a culture and personality type that naturally fits in and flourishes here. If you happen to be that type, you'll do well. If not, you'll probably feel like you're on the outside looking in.

It's a family run / owned business, so you have to deal with some arbitrary annoyances that you don't find at normal companies. For example, the elder Steinlauf (Chairman of the Board, son is CEO) roams the office, not appearing to do much, but more than once has unapologetically poked his head into important meetings (with Directors, VPs, etc.) for stupid reasons - he can't get into his email account (user error), or his wife's cell phone is acting up, etc.

None, really. I don't know that I have thoughts that are better than the ones currently in play. It's a tough business to be in, walking a fine line between building consumer trust in our independent reviews, while convincing dealers (who pay us a lot of money) that we aren't trying to screw them by helping consumers find the best prices. Fingers crossed, I guess?

91 Other Employee Reviews for Edmunds.com (View Most Recent)

Edmunds.com is Avi Cool

Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Ditrector in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Avi the CEO is a good guy, and the company's leadership in automotive editorial is clearly one of its strengths. Advertising does not impact editorial

Cons

I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured. I am not going to say anything bad. The company has matured.

Point to selling cars directly and partner with TESLA.

Enriching, dynamic, challenging, and never dull.

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tremendous benefits and a flexible work schedule. The work is intellectually stimulating and there is a a lot of openness to new ideas and approaches for people who can absorb and welcome change. Very public and honest reflection from upper management. Tremendous care an attention is placed on their employees.

Cons

Emphasis on swift. decisive action has a tendency to backfire and create thrash and churn among project teams. Ambiguity about objectives can make work/life balance very difficult for many. Numerous pet projects create distractions.

There are newer employer reviews for Edmunds.com