There are newer employer reviews for Edmunds.com

The Peter Principle

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com

Pros

Fantastic office space, fresh fruit each morning and a generous time off policy. Compensation is competitive for in-demand skills and experience.

You're working with some of the best people in town both personally and professionally.

The company promotes from within, which in theory has great potential, but in practice...well, see the Cons.

Cons

Top heavy: Operational inefficiency
Inexperienced executives: Poor leadership, whim-of-iron management style
Silos: Zero inter department communication, wasteful duplication of effort
Lack of accountability: Excessive politics, fairytale-like simulation of a business.

There are two types of executives in my book: Those who execute, and professional politicians. Edmunds still has a few of the former around but lately the emphasis has been on the latter.

This observation matters because Edmunds is at a turning point: All of the easy money has been made. The new site was designed with the curious objective of revenue parity. Worse, the released product did not accomplish this goal. Now the goal is to go direct to dealers. So given this landscape, who is going to lead the company to its full potential? The politicians?

Whom is accountable?
What's going on, anyway? When we gather expectantly to hear about the performance of the redesigned site, the message we get is that page views are up. Be straight with us. You hired adults, we can take it. Hell, we'll even do another death march on your behalf if you tell us who is accountable for results so that we can help them achieve our shared objective.

Whom is accountable - part II
To my observation, the primary activity of the VPs is self preservation. Information that bubbles up the chain of command is ignored, particularly if the easier option is to kick the can down the road and avoid any conversations that involve conflict or a tough decision.

Whom is accountable - part III
There are several initiatives in progress that take up valuable time, bypass business justification and seem to be resume-enhancers for those who champion them. Some fundamental questions: Who is asking for these projects? To what end do they serve the customers? How much does this cost to deliver? How much will this cost to sustain? And finally the question that never seems to be asked or answered, "What is the business value?"

Scrutinize your executives and challenge them on the value they provide; hold them accountable to measurable goals that are meaningful to the continued health and prosperity of the business. Trim substantially once you discover what the rest of us experience while toiling long hours on your behalf.

Hey, its your money. If the hockey stick doesn't materialize, you can always go after the free money from the operating margins commensurate with experienced management and a dismantling of the technology playground.

89 Other Employee Reviews for Edmunds.com (View Most Recent)

Too many cooks in the kitchen

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com

Pros

After the pink cloud of working in the Water Garden subsides and you've played Mrs. Pacman for the 100th time, eaten your 75th free banana, and taken in your umpteenth sweeping view of LA, you will likely second-guess your employment choice. See below.

Cons

What makes Edmunds exasperating is the astoundingly myopic senior managment, 35-40 grossly overpaid project managers, HR keystroke spying, infrequent time to use your vacation, cliquey silos, someone else taking credit for your ideas, projects that span years, reactionary ever-changing corporate road maps, design-by-committee, top-heavy management, and an endless stream of worthless life-sucking meetings. There are meetings for planning, strategy, project kick offs, project recaps, burn-downs, advertising, sales, training, education, vaccinations, grief counseling, fire drills, harassment, ethics, morals, mentoring...truly a bottomless pit of meetings which everyone must attend and negatively affects their core product, morale and certainly the bottom line. There were (and I'm not kidding) meetings ABOUT MEETINGS. Add to that a slew of tri-annual mandatory off-site meetings where you must arrive at the LA Convention Center at 8am to listen to a monotone CFO ramble on for hours about operating margins, unique cookies, capitol expenditures, and bonuses that are rarely doled out. Edmunds prefers to waste their coffers on inept VP saleries and severely overpriced data centers and bloated Engineering costs. This 400 person company could honestly be run better with 20 people, an Amazon Cloud stack and Joomla!.

If the owners would stop the buck, they could give out bonuses but they do not know how and at the end of the day, almost nobody in Senior managment really knows that much about building a website. They know how to build a revenue-generating ad-serving company, but check the education and histories of the Directors, VPs, and Managers on LinkedIn or Google and you'll find an abundance of experience better suited to run a hedge fund.

I never felt like anyone was in charge. I never felt safe in my employment. I learned a lot but do not miss it.

Several people have already taken credit for my best advice to Edmunds - I won't let it happen again.

Learn as much as you can and look for better places

Former Employee - Engineering in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com

Pros

Some opportunities to learn new stuff. Time off policy. Espresso machine.

Cons

Incompetent management, no recognition, political battlefield. Company culture changed completely over the last years. Obnoxious tech architecture, pushed by unqualified management and implemented by quite intelligent engineers.

Make the company more agile. Revise your IT budget and headcount: you can save loads of $$$ by cutting you 40+ software engineering personnel in half. You are running what? 3 websites?

There are newer employer reviews for Edmunds.com