There are newer employer reviews for Education Development Center, Inc.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waltham, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Education Development Center, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

EDC is an awesome environment to work in. For the most part, it is laid back and most of the people are nice and friendly. Awesome benefits and great atmosphere and stepping stone for me.

Cons

I work in the Accounting department, so I am considered overhead whereas the other centers are not. It is a non-profit, so that's how it works. However, it is sort of a slap in the face when you see other departments being able to take advantage of their leftover budget (having luncheons, buying merchandise, etc.) while you can't because you are seen as an expense to the company.

Work with the staff. Don't micromanage and act as if you are better than someone because you are higher on the totem pole than they are.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Education Development Center, Inc. (View Most Recent)

Body shop

Former Employee - Research Manager  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at Education Development Center, Inc.

Pros

EDC has great benefits and some very sharp, interesting employees. Employees are trusted with flexible schedules and work locations.

Cons

EDC is a body shop - that is, when they get work they hire bodies and when times are lean they are quick to cut staff. For an organization whose stock in trade is the knowledge and skills of the employees, you would think they would do more to retain staff. In a year when the overall company made a profit, individual centers were shut down and staff laid off. There was little support for business development. I really was shocked that in my 2 1/2 years there I didn't work on any proposals for new work ... or that they wouldn't keep me on for a quarter to work on business development / proposal writing. I wish they had been more upfront about the turn over with mid-level staff. If you don't have a champion who is high-level you are the first to go. The president of the company told me that that I'd probably be back since they tended to hire, fire, re-hire the same people. ("people cycle in and out) Why would you do that?)

Pay more attention to retaining and developing the staff you have. It is not okay to have people "cycle in and out" of the organization. Show more respect for individuals.

Great collegial community. I left because upper management decided to move into building with Raytheon toxic waste.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Education Development Center, Inc.

Pros

Felt like I was working with family and friends and my work was meaningful. People are very flexible with schedules especially for working Mothers. If you make the effort to reach out there are opportunities to interact with other centers through affinity groups. Depending on the project you work on you have many opportunities to stretch yourself and grow.

Cons

Upper management doesn't take employees into consideration when taking major decisions. Because its a non-profit the management does not get any support or training on how to supervise junior staff so this leads to many problems. Hard to increase salary once you are hired since project budgets are tight, so unless you have a doctoral degree and you are a PI you won't be able to earn as much. Unfortunately most of this work depends on winning federally funded projects which can be unreliable since funding can be decreased unexpectedly or end, thus making job security difficult. If you are a low paid research assistant your job is more secure but expect to work really hard. If you are paid more and you are in a middle position your job is very insecure since you will be the first to go when budgets get tight.

You need to get more training on how to supervise and support junior staff. Need to be more transparent with decision making especially when it involves the health of employees (e.g. move to building with toxic waste). Need to hire more diverse staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Development Center, Inc.

Worked for Education Development Center, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!