Education Development Center, Inc.

www.edc.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Education Development Center, Inc.

Wonderful comapany to work for

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Newton, MA
Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Newton, MA

I worked at Education Development Center, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Family friendly, great employees, fun atmosphere, friendly. Get to work on what you're interested in and have the opportunity to explore other areas.

Cons

Good experience can be dependent on your supervisor. It's difficult to move up from a research assistant position without leaving, gaining more experience and education, and then returning. As a NGO, grants may end and you will have to find another job or funding to continue.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Education Development Center, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

EDC is an awesome environment to work in. For the most part, it is laid back and most of the people are nice and friendly. Awesome benefits and great atmosphere and stepping stone for me.

Cons

I work in the Accounting department, so I am considered overhead whereas the other centers are not. It is a non-profit, so that's how it works. However, it is sort of a slap in the face when you see other departments being able to take advantage of their leftover budget (having luncheons, buying merchandise, etc.) while you can't because you are seen as an expense to the company.

Advice to Management

Work with the staff. Don't micromanage and act as if you are better than someone because you are higher on the totem pole than they are.

Body shop

Former Employee - Research Manager in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Newton, MA

I worked at Education Development Center, Inc.

Pros

EDC has great benefits and some very sharp, interesting employees. Employees are trusted with flexible schedules and work locations.

Cons

EDC is a body shop - that is, when they get work they hire bodies and when times are lean they are quick to cut staff. For an organization whose stock in trade is the knowledge and skills of the employees, you would think they would do more to retain staff. In a year when the overall company made a profit, individual centers were shut down and staff laid off. There was little support for business development. I really was shocked that in my 2 1/2 years there I didn't work on any proposals for new work ... or that they wouldn't keep me on for a quarter to work on business development / proposal writing. I wish they had been more upfront about the turn over with mid-level staff. If you don't have a champion who is high-level you are the first to go. The president of the company told me that that I'd probably be back since they tended to hire, fire, re-hire the same people. ("people cycle in and out) Why would you do that?)

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to retaining and developing the staff you have. It is not okay to have people "cycle in and out" of the organization. Show more respect for individuals.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Development Center, Inc.