Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good but it could be better. They have really good trainers, Vinh Tu is one of them. They layed off allot of employees so I am not sure if he is still there. They have different vendors come into the lunch room and they provide different foods different days of the week.

Cons

Horrible horrible upper management. They do not listen to their employees nor their managers whom they depend on to run their teams. Every manager is stressed and is on written warnings because their teams cannot hit the sales goals that the upper management provides. The environment is not employee friendly, I studied leadership at ASU and the upper management did not portray any qualities that a leader should obtain.

Advice to Management

Listen to your managers on the floor and allow them to run their team the way they feel is appropriate. Do not micro manage and stop worrying about the bottom dollar, there is one take away from ASU that taught me to worry about your employees and their happiness and the money / bottom dollar will eventually increase.

Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation

1. A reactive organization, made up of former University of Phoenix executives, that can not think ahead of the curve.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The pay was considerably higher than most education organizations

Cons

Archaic technology and poor leadrship

Advice to Management

Find a way to make the cross functional team matrices work together, instead of against each other so grad teams are really working to a common goal.

Good place to be an instructor

Former Employee - Instructor in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Bernardino, CA

Pros

I felt like I genuinely impacted the lives of my students. I had the freedom to introduce new material so that my classes were always up to date with the industry. Position is very autonomous, and other than class time and a few meetings you are free to craft your own schedule as you see fit.

Cons

Upper management in EDMC was constantly pursuing various forms of accreditation, sometimes at the expense of the students (creating unrealistic barriers, such as advanced degrees for all instructors, in what is effectively a trade school). Student recruiting practices are occasionally ethically bankrupt.

Advice to Management

Put students first in all decisions!