Education Management Corporation

www.edmc.edu
  www.edmc.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

The right idea, the wrong company

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

paid education, opportunities to move within their brands (Argosy University, Art Institute, Brown Mackie College, South University, etc.).

Cons

inexperienced management teams, poor communication at all levels of service, schedule changes without notice to accommodate upper management, without regard to those being told to change. recent and continuing lay-offs, major law-suits against the company in public eye, fast overturn rate at employee level (admissions, academic, and finance departments).

While the idea of working for your company is enticing, there are many things that need to be considered as changes, starting with looking at the culture created by upper management, at the director level and higher, and evaluating where the problems the company is experiencing are coming from. Instead of laying off huge numbers of workers, only to have to hire and re-train new employees, look into the root of the problem.

330 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

Don't be fooled by smiling faces

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive and initial impressions are very good

Cons

It will not take you long to find out that the culture which is cultivated by senior management is one of decit and mistrust. You are led to believe that it is an open and inviting environment, but in reality the culture is one of mistrust and back-stabbing.....and is supported by the c-suite. So long as you keep your head down, don't ask questions "just go along", you should be fine.

Look at the cons section and then look in the mirror

Good place to be an instructor

Former Employee - Instructor in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

I felt like I genuinely impacted the lives of my students. I had the freedom to introduce new material so that my classes were always up to date with the industry. Position is very autonomous, and other than class time and a few meetings you are free to craft your own schedule as you see fit.

Cons

Upper management in EDMC was constantly pursuing various forms of accreditation, sometimes at the expense of the students (creating unrealistic barriers, such as advanced degrees for all instructors, in what is effectively a trade school). Student recruiting practices are occasionally ethically bankrupt.

Put students first in all decisions!

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation