There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

Sold my soul and health to the devil

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions
Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

free education if you have time

Cons

Reviews (called Success factors) are given every quarter. If you do not meet the high application or student start rate imposed by corp., you receive a negative rating. You do have the chance (if only) to redeem yourself with an "exceeds expectation" rating on a series of other factors such as professionalism but have been told by management that these are next to impossible to achieve. Goals are changed mid quarters by corp. and DOA's dangle good reviews over your head like carrots. If you receive two unfavorable reviews you are fired. Success factors AKA failure factors (as coined but one of the DOA’s) is a way of weeding people out of admissions.
 If you make your phone time you are told you don't have enough dials and vise versa. There is always something to find wrong. Nothing is ever good enough. At time of application you are told to have the students write the essays (which are only 150 words long). Most of the students that apply have no grammar or spelling skills so hoping that they can write an essay worthy of a "real" acceptance in thirty minutes is ridiculous, yet upper management wants it this way so they don't look bad during corp. meetings. Never mind that the student will be rejected or fail his way into student debt.
If you don't take at least one application a week you are sent to the president's office, which feels like being sent to the principals office for punishment. DOA's do not help the ADA's with improvement and spend much of their time gossiping about their team members or divulging confidential information to ADAs about other ADAs. Applications that are received online are handed out to those favored by management like treats or rewards.
There are so many blackout dates that it is next to impossible to take PTO. When you do take PTO you are still responsible for not having applications or phone time and you can get so far behind in your numbers it’s not worth taking the time off anyway. Open Houses are held almost every other weekend where prospective students are herded into the student union after a tour and pressured to apply.
There is a horrible disconnect between management, senior management and employees. Employees are lied to; rules and procedures are changed from one week to the next. It is a truly toxic, unhealthy and unethical environment.
The ADA’s have been told that they do not sell the school to the students; they sell themselves instead. Sorry but I don’t make enough money to have to bare that kind of responsibility.
If we need more students to make a class start we are told to enroll ourselves in school or our dependants even if we are not comfortable with the idea.
The list goes on….

Nothing that will be heard. Employee 2% cost of living increase was frozen nationwide so the CEO could collect his millions in bonus money. What advise would you give?

314 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

No Diversity and Males Dominate Executive Positions above a Director

Former Employee - Senior Executive in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Tuition is covered for employees

Cons

Not student focused to much emphasis on bottom line, no work life balance.

The people here have treated me fine, nothing great nothing bad. It’s a job and I get my work done. People need to have

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

The management team needs to learn how to work with their employees.

A lot more interaction needs to occur.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation