Education Management Corporation

Ending badly

Faculty (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe hours - though the teaching load is ridiculous compared to regular colleges - are a lot better than working in industry. Also there's a lot of autonomy, and my colleagues were top-shelf.

ConsNo local control over decision-making. Web site and marketing is the same for a small town branch and a large urban institution. Faculty is constantly in fear of being "let go" for business reasons... there is no way to control your future.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocalize decision making. Empower faculty to make real decisions about their departments.

College and sales do not mix

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great pay, great benefit with free degree for employees. If you're someone who is… Cons: High pressure sales environment with strict metrics that forces expensive colleges upon… Advice to Senior Management: Back of the high pressure sales idea and run as a smaller… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Admissions Representative (Worst company I ever worked for)

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros: Benefits, nice AR's, experience that helped me transtion to another University, nice opportunity… Cons: Management uses scare tactics, they have a tiering system (top, middle, bottom) If your on bottom tier it is almost impossible to get out. You… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of upper management. I literally could not stand working there because of the way they ran the business. You… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Education Management Corporation.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Education Management Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Education Management Corporation CEO Edward H. West. All reviews posted anonymously by Education Management Corporation employees.