Education Management Corporation

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Chandler, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employees are good people trying to make an honest living.
Some co-workers are very intellegent and passionate about technology
Benefits are about average
Pay is slightly above average for the Phoenix market

Cons

Managers have no clue what they are doing
Stock price dropping fast, each quarterly meeting is more and more depressing
Very high attrition rate. I have seen managers quit in less than 2 weeks
Lots of layoffs
Poor reputation in the industry
Also, if you are taking a signing bonus, know that you are locked in for 2 years or you owe it back.

Pay attention to your employees needs
Put for effort into your hiring process
Stop using "body shop" recruiting firms and contractors

355 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

ADA

Former Employee - ADA in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - ADA in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Prelude:
    One of the only reasons why this review received a 2 star rating is that it provided me an idea of what I do not want to see myself doing as a professional very early on in my career. If you are a young professional much like myself, this position will provide you a much needed understanding of the innerworkings of corporate America. You will understand what it takes to remain a number, and you will learn what it takes to climb the corporate ladder.

Pros:
    As an ADA I was lucky enough to enroll a handful of students that genuinely needed to attend the college. It is wonderful to know that you have helped a student who is passionate about art find a program that could potentially help them start a career that is appropriate for them.

Base compensation is also fair for the nature of the work. Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays.

Seeing student work is amazing. This was one of my biggest motivators in working at the Art Institute.

And of course, coworkers. Some are wonderful, down to Earth and share the struggle.

Cons

Cons:

The position of ADA is simple. You will be a telemarketer and salesperson. You will be expected to make at least 80 calls per day. Your goal will be to set up "interviews", (aka sales pitches) to potential students and their families. One of your biggest tasks will be to actually get students to start college. They will have financial issues, logistic issues, and sometimes, personal issues. Your director will expect you to "trouble shoot" these problems to "help" your student make their start date. Every three months their is a quarterly review consisting of qualitative and quantitative performance issues. It all comes down to how big of a suck up you are and if you were lucky enough to make your numbers.

The mass majority of your prospects will be unemployed individuals seeking any type of college to "improve their life". I did feel guilty enrolling students who I knew were not prepared for college classes. It wasn't fair for the teachers and it wasn't fair for the students who are able to keep up with the work. This is what drags down the quality of education at EDMC's schools.

Management's biggest role is to continuously train new hires being that it is a revolving door.

EDMC you've become a franchise. The American consumer is not stupid. They do not want to attend a school that has 48 other locations.

Reevaluate your target market, maybe that'll affect your retention

Reform your recruiting model. Promote veteran ADAs who actually have a passion for helping students.

Ending badly

Former Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The hours - though the teaching load is ridiculous compared to regular colleges - are a lot better than working in industry. Also there's a lot of autonomy, and my colleagues were top-shelf.

Cons

No local control over decision-making. Web site and marketing is the same for a small town branch and a large urban institution. Faculty is constantly in fear of being "let go" for business reasons... there is no way to control your future.

Localize decision making. Empower faculty to make real decisions about their departments.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation