Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Chandler, AZ
Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are good people trying to make an honest living. Some co-workers are very intellegent and passionate about technology Benefits are about average Pay is slightly above average for the Phoenix market

Cons

Managers have no clue what they are doing Stock price dropping fast, each quarterly meeting is more and more depressing Very high attrition rate. I have seen managers quit in less than 2 weeks Lots of layoffs Poor reputation in the industry Also, if you are taking a signing bonus, know that you are locked in for 2 years or you owe it back.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees needs Put for effort into your hiring process Stop using "body shop" recruiting firms and contractors

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

ADA

Former Employee - ADA in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - ADA in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prelude: One of the only reasons why this review received a 2 star rating is that it provided me an idea of what I do not want to see myself doing as a professional very early on in my career. If you are a young professional much like myself, this position will provide you a much needed understanding of the innerworkings of corporate America. You will understand what it takes to remain a number, and you will learn what it takes to climb the corporate ladder. Pros: As an ADA I was lucky enough to enroll a handful of students that genuinely needed to attend the college. It is wonderful to know that you have helped a student who is passionate about art find a program that could potentially help them start a career that is appropriate for them. Base compensation is also fair for the nature of the work. Work/life balance is comfortable unless you have a family; you will work Saturdays. Seeing student work is amazing. This was one of my biggest motivators in working at the Art Institute. And of course, coworkers. Some are wonderful, down to Earth and share the struggle.

Cons

Cons: The position of ADA is simple. You will be a telemarketer and salesperson. You will be expected to make at least 80 calls per day. Your goal will be to set up "interviews", (aka sales pitches) to potential students and their families. One of your biggest tasks will be to actually get students to start college. They will have financial issues, logistic issues, and sometimes, personal issues. Your director will expect you to "trouble shoot" these problems to "help" your student make their start date. Every three months their is a quarterly review consisting of qualitative and quantitative performance issues. It all comes down to how big of a suck up you are and if you were lucky enough to make your numbers. The mass majority of your prospects will be unemployed individuals seeking any type of college to "improve their life". I did feel guilty enrolling students who I knew were not prepared for college classes. It wasn't fair for the teachers and it wasn't fair for the students who are able to keep up with the work. This is what drags down the quality of education at EDMC's schools. Management's biggest role is to continuously train new hires being that it is a revolving door.

Advice to Management

EDMC you've become a franchise. The American consumer is not stupid. They do not want to attend a school that has 48 other locations. Reevaluate your target market, maybe that'll affect your retention Reform your recruiting model. Promote veteran ADAs who actually have a passion for helping students.

Horrible place for an IT professional.

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent coworkers. Salary is okay for pix area.

Cons

Full of backstabbers who would do anything to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Document and standardize environment.