good job out of school, not for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

work with great people, good benefits, more laid back atmosphere than in other departments, do not have to work on weekends

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth or upward movement, jobs are monotonous, a lot of talk about opportunities and growth with little or no action

Follow thru on promises to employees

Other Reviews for Education Management Corporation

A toxic soup of shady leadership, gestapo HR tactics, and below average quality of academics... RUN!

Former Employee - Military Admissions Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Military Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Met some fabulous friends there. When you go through war together, you form a bond that is strong.

Cons

Lest you think I am disgruntled employee because something bad happened to me there, know that I was there for over three years and was not only a top performer from the beginning but also one of the highest paid admissions reps in the company. I never got tagged for a compliance violation. In three years I missed a start date quota only once and that was when I went on vacation. I was a model employee and a great example of what they wanted all their employees to be like. Now tat you have the background on me, take my advice and look elsewhere. This company is a cesspool of all that is wrong about coporaate America and for profit schools. It is crawling with dishonest and unethical leaders. I was there three years and any senior level executive who was talented and had integrity was eventually forced out. I have worked for the last 25 years of my life and I have never worked for a company that systematically cultivated shady people like they were growing a new crop of a**holes each season like they do at EDMC until I worked here. I never aspired to management because A) I made too much money--I was hired before they adjusted the matrix and B) it as clear to succeed in this company as a leader you must sell your soul to the devil. A very high price to pay indeed.

I found a new job and even took a significant cut to my base pay to work in an environment that was positive and for people who appreciate my talent and skill. I have regretd this decision for one second.

1. Comprehend the health of your organization depends of the health of your employees. Working here makes people anxious, stressed, paranoid, fearful, and physically sick with no work life balance because taking any time off puts you in jeopardy of not hitting your numbers. Perhaps your stock price is a direct reflection of the health of your organization. Once tradin in the 30's, you no languish and flounder between 1 and 3. Dismal.

2. Stay out of jail or civil court if you can. Or, on second thought, I hope you rot there and lose all of your money as atonement.

Pros and Cons at EDMC IT

Current Employee - IT Desktop Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - IT Desktop Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Nice offices, people and views. Decent enough equipment. Good pay.

Cons

Crappy benefits. Lack of job security. Workload often out-weighs capacity.

Rough times at EDMC due to the economy. Find ways to reward your employees to give yourself a chance in terms of retaining the good employees. Why not give the week between Christmas and New Years off--nothing really gets done that week and this is an Education company. There are two large corps in the K&L gates building that offer comparable salaries, better insurance and significantly more time off. A little tempting to your capable IT people.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!