There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

Can't trust senior management (and some middle management too....)

Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were a FEW managers that actually cared about their employees and constantly strived to keep a good work/life balance. They allowed for "personal time" and kept track of what their employees did not from a project quota or "you need to get this done" aspect but more from a "you are putting in a lot of hours and need some downtime" aspect. I met ALOT of GREAT people there and on our team we had a TRUE team atmosphere. We always helped each other out and if one person was sick or having personal issues and needed some time off we all pulled together and picked up the slack to get the job or project done. My manager was one of the best managers I have ever had and I wish EDMC would use that person as an example of how other managers should be.......

Cons

Towards the end it was all about the $$$ and decisions were made based on that mentality. The middle managers who were on the "good" side of senior management were always worried about what other departments or managers were doing and not focused on their own departments or staff. When things would go wrong they would always point the finger at someone else or bring up the supposed shortcomings of another department or staff member instead of focusing on the problem at hand. When major issues came up, after the fix was implemented the "blamestorming" sessions would then begin, witch hunts would then ensue and everyone would start the finger pointing until the unlucky culprit was found. If you made a mistake the "punishment" would all depend on who you worked for. Common sense eluded most of senior management and instead of implementing what you would think would be the easiest and most sensible solution they would often take the most convoluted solutions of the middle managers that kissed the most behind and implement that. Most of that stemmed from the middle managers finding solutions that OTHER departments would have to implement so they would not have to deal with the issue themselves.

At the end cuts in staff were once again based on the $$$. They kept the staff making the least salary and got rid of the staff making more money than the average of the department, often keeping staff who either did not know their jobs or did not care and was only there to collect a paycheck and watch the clock (unless that person held a lot of information/knowledge about the inner workings making themselves untouchable.) This happened in quite a few cases that managers would allow one or two employees to have all of the knowledge and not share information which in turn gave them EXTREME job security. They then scared the remaining employees into thinking unless they worked hard and kept their mouths shut they would soon be out of a job as well.

Advice to Management

You have created an atmosphere of fear and distrust in which there is now no turning back from. Most of the staff you cut were the ones who actually cared about their jobs and were the ones who invested a lot of time, effort and sweat equity into the company. Now that they are gone and the cat is out of the bag anyone left who is worth a d@#n is now jumping ship to save their own skin.

reviews filtered by
  1. good job out of school, not for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work with great people, good benefits, more laid back atmosphere than in other departments, do not have to work on weekends

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth or upward movement, jobs are monotonous, a lot of talk about opportunities and growth with little or no action

Advice to Management

Follow thru on promises to employees

A toxic soup of shady leadership, gestapo HR tactics, and below average quality of academics... RUN!

Former Employee - Military Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Military Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some fabulous friends there. When you go through war together, you form a bond that is strong.

Cons

Lest you think I am disgruntled employee because something bad happened to me there, know that I was there for over three years and was not only a top performer from the beginning but also one of the highest paid admissions reps in the company. I never got tagged for a compliance violation. In three years I missed a start date quota only once and that was when I went on vacation. I was a model employee and a great example of what they wanted all their employees to be like. Now tat you have the background on me, take my advice and look elsewhere. This company is a cesspool of all that is wrong about coporaate America and for profit schools. It is crawling with dishonest and unethical leaders. I was there three years and any senior level executive who was talented and had integrity was eventually forced out. I have worked for the last 25 years of my life and I have never worked for a company that systematically cultivated shady people like they were growing a new crop of a**holes each season like they do at EDMC until I worked here. I never aspired to management because A) I made too much money--I was hired before they adjusted the matrix and B) it as clear to succeed in this company as a leader you must sell your soul to the devil. A very high price to pay indeed.

I found a new job and even took a significant cut to my base pay to work in an environment that was positive and for people who appreciate my talent and skill. I have regretd this decision for one second.

Advice to Management

1. Comprehend the health of your organization depends of the health of your employees. Working here makes people anxious, stressed, paranoid, fearful, and physically sick with no work life balance because taking any time off puts you in jeopardy of not hitting your numbers. Perhaps your stock price is a direct reflection of the health of your organization. Once tradin in the 30's, you no languish and flounder between 1 and 3. Dismal.

2. Stay out of jail or civil court if you can. Or, on second thought, I hope you rot there and lose all of your money as atonement.