Can't trust senior management (and some middle management too....)

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There were a FEW managers that actually cared about their employees and constantly strived to keep a good work/life balance. They allowed for "personal time" and kept track of what their employees did not from a project quota or "you need to get this done" aspect but more from a "you are putting in a lot of hours and need some downtime" aspect. I met ALOT of GREAT people there and on our team we had a TRUE team atmosphere. We always helped each other out and if one person was sick or having personal issues and needed some time off we all pulled together and picked up the slack to get the job or project done. My manager was one of the best managers I have ever had and I wish EDMC would use that person as an example of how other managers should be.......

Cons

Towards the end it was all about the $$$ and decisions were made based on that mentality. The middle managers who were on the "good" side of senior management were always worried about what other departments or managers were doing and not focused on their own departments or staff. When things would go wrong they would always point the finger at someone else or bring up the supposed shortcomings of another department or staff member instead of focusing on the problem at hand. When major issues came up, after the fix was implemented the "blamestorming" sessions would then begin, witch hunts would then ensue and everyone would start the finger pointing until the unlucky culprit was found. If you made a mistake the "punishment" would all depend on who you worked for. Common sense eluded most of senior management and instead of implementing what you would think would be the easiest and most sensible solution they would often take the most convoluted solutions of the middle managers that kissed the most behind and implement that. Most of that stemmed from the middle managers finding solutions that OTHER departments would have to implement so they would not have to deal with the issue themselves.

At the end cuts in staff were once again based on the $$$. They kept the staff making the least salary and got rid of the staff making more money than the average of the department, often keeping staff who either did not know their jobs or did not care and was only there to collect a paycheck and watch the clock (unless that person held a lot of information/knowledge about the inner workings making themselves untouchable.) This happened in quite a few cases that managers would allow one or two employees to have all of the knowledge and not share information which in turn gave them EXTREME job security. They then scared the remaining employees into thinking unless they worked hard and kept their mouths shut they would soon be out of a job as well.

You have created an atmosphere of fear and distrust in which there is now no turning back from. Most of the staff you cut were the ones who actually cared about their jobs and were the ones who invested a lot of time, effort and sweat equity into the company. Now that they are gone and the cat is out of the bag anyone left who is worth a d@#n is now jumping ship to save their own skin.

Other Reviews for Education Management Corporation

Okay for a while.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, great location, great training program for inside sales/recruiting. Work population consists of dominantly people 1 - 5 years out of college.

Cons

Negative work culture. Various work experiences based on who's team you are on. They frown on telling you just how important recruiting students is to your success during your career here.

Focus more on a positive work culture.

Things seem to be falling apart. No regard to employee morale.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to meet some goodo people.

Cons

Poor senior management. Job responsibilities not in line with job title or salary. Bad morale.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!