There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

The worst company I've ever worked for period.

Former Employee - Amissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Amissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be you could make a decent living working for EDMC but once they went to static salaries/hourly the company became completely worthless to work there.

Cons

Horrible management that demeans and belittles employees all while asking for teamwork that is not rewarded. Management has no competence, no direction, layoffs happening all the time and treat their employees in a disgusting manner.

Advice to Management

After working there for many many years I wouldn't even know where to start to help them rectify their business. My best advice, burn the whole business down and leave it as a charred ember of what not to do as a business.

Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation

1. Don't even bother

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Salary 2. Great co-workers 3. Clean atmosphere 4. Location (Downtown Pittsburgh)

Cons

This is a very stressful sales job. I worked at EDMC from May 2011-April 2013. I took this job straight out of college, and that is just what it was a job. This is not a career. The fact that I see this company has not changed one bit, since I resigned lets me know that it never will. I feel sorry for the employees who really depend on their salary and the ones who have a family to support. If you actually NEED this job you will put up with anything and try your hardest to meet the quota, so you won't get fired. I hated it so bad, I took a slight pay cut at a non-profit University, and have been extremely well off ever since! It is not a university, but a corporation you are working for. Completely different, if you work in higher education at a non-profit university, or even private university, you don't incur the amount of stress levels that you will at EDMC. As far as workload, you will make about 250-300 calls a day and are expected to get students to apply on the first phone call. Some of the students I spoke with didn't even know how to use Microsoft office, yet I was told to enroll them, which will weigh on your conscience if you have even a bit of a heart.

Advice to Management

The whole company needs to be shut down.

Click Here to Apply ~ Sucker

Current Employee - Student Finance Counselor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Student Finance Counselor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Payroll is always on time. Workplace is kept clean. Employees really want to succeed (non management).

Cons

Income is diminishing returns. Health care increases each year. Too many meetings always asking why can't we get more done. Unorganized, untrained and ineffective managers from top to bottom. Nothing motivates people to be better. Everything is based on the negatives. Students are treated like they stole something when additional balances from not passing courses are added to their accounts. Students are coaxed into over $14k in yearly debt by being told they can go to McDonalds for internet access. No one has graduated form McDonalds to date. Company profit comes first and everyone else (employees/students) last. Worst experience of my life. Enroll and it will be yours too.

Advice to Management

Take some valid management courses and learn to coach and motivate employees. Fear tactics do not work in management and only cause resentment and a poor culture for those actually interfacing with the student body. Image how much higher the retention and graduate rates would be if the students would here non manufactured excitement over the phone.