There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

This job has been interesting and rewarding at times but overall is enough to give you a nervous breakdown!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting projects, opportunities to develop solutions that make coworkers tasks more efficient and less challenging, opportunities to work with cutting edge technologies and innovative business process improvements.

Cons

Work-life balance is pathetic. More and more positions are being cut because the company has financial issues. However, the demand continues to grow as upper management pretends that we are not in trouble and continues investments in new products and services.

Please choose one road or the other. Either we are downsizing in which case we need to stop all investments and implementations and just keep up with what we have, OR, we are going all in to turn this company around and get back to profits. You cannot continue to cut IT groups in half while INCREASING the workload. This philosophy is simply burning out the great employees and we can only do this for so long without giving up.

305 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

A company in major transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company does provide a decent salary with a good amount of PTO. The 401K match is also the highest that I have seen.

Cons

There are going to be more layoffs this year. The environment is not stable and there is no growth.

Time to Move On

Current Employee - Student Finance Counselor
    Current Employee - Student Finance Counselor

Pros

Staff at local campuses are awesome. Highly motivated and truly loyal and dedicated to the mission of the company and helping students get a solid education.

Cons

Corporate has hired outside groups to run almost every aspect of the local campus. What used to be a thriving educational system has quickly deteriorated at the hands of centralizing almost every aspect of the enrollment, financial aid, advising and business departments. Local staff are no longer able to fully support and help students as necessary because these outside groups and corporate themselves want to have their hands in everything. Salaries are low in comparison to what the job requires. an estimated 90% of employees at the local campuses, including top executives and department directors/chairs are constantly job searching and bragging about making it to second and third round interviews. "Everyone" wants out, but there seems to be no place to go so morale slowly drains.

Fire CRC and stop this centralization non-sense. The local campus is completely capable of managing the buisness and day to day acitivitie in a professional and efficient manner. Increase everyone's salary to what they deserve, not just admission representatives some of whom receive twice what other department chairs earn. Listen to your employees. Don't just hear the words, but truly work to understand the meaning and then implement their strategies. We work on the floor every day. We are not in an office 200 miles away. What looks good in a board meeting does not always translate into practical aplication. CEO, go on undercover boss and see what it is actually like to work each department; you would be amazed at the deficiencies the policies and proceedures management has installed has brought to a once thriving company.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!