Education Management Corporation

www.edmc.edu
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

A perfect combination of fear and futility.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A great service for students by providing a flexible and convenient opportunity to pursue their degree. The online classroom is very user-friendly and can be effectively operated by even a novice computer user.

The benefits provided to employees were very good.

Cons

The focus is said to be on the students. The focus is instead on the number of students. Admissions staff is encouraged to harass new applicants with outreach attempts to obtain students. If a potential student says "No" that is just for that individual moment in time as they will be called for the rest of their lives trying to find that exact moment in time when, for some magical reason, they will say "Yes" and want to enroll.

I doubt they can read this. Senior Management was promoted through the ranks from their previous results as staff when the operations first started, not for their ability to lead, create change, vision, and or strategy.

Leads need to be targeted to actual potential students. Degree programs need to be focused to students that can actually use the degree programs instead of magically twisting the coursework to somehow find a small way that it can be used for the students. Case in point: we have students that click on banner ads to become an EMT online. Really? Really! This is not possibly. Also, one does not need a degree to become an EMT, they need to be certified by the state. EDMC will badger this person for the rest of their life trying to cram this student into a degree program that will not get them to be what their stated intentions were.

357 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - National Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - National Admissions Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

EDMC does pay well and offers a fair benefits package in most cases.

Cons

The industry is facing enormous issues, coming under scrutiny from the federal government. EDMC's priorities are profits, not students which can be a difficult moral dilemma for employees. In most cases, there is not room for growth or personal contribution to the company.

This job has been interesting and rewarding at times but overall is enough to give you a nervous breakdown!

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, opportunities to develop solutions that make coworkers tasks more efficient and less challenging, opportunities to work with cutting edge technologies and innovative business process improvements.

Cons

Work-life balance is pathetic. More and more positions are being cut because the company has financial issues. However, the demand continues to grow as upper management pretends that we are not in trouble and continues investments in new products and services.

Please choose one road or the other. Either we are downsizing in which case we need to stop all investments and implementations and just keep up with what we have, OR, we are going all in to turn this company around and get back to profits. You cannot continue to cut IT groups in half while INCREASING the workload. This philosophy is simply burning out the great employees and we can only do this for so long without giving up.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation