Education Management Corporation

www.edmc.edu

One of the worst places I have ever worked

Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsThe money is there to make, if you are working 10+ hours of overtime each week. I was a finance counselor, and often saw the only perk of the job as the overtime. My motto was, as long as I'm stuck in this awful job, I will try to make as much $$ as possible.

Cons1. EDMC is like a black hole that sucks people in - have you ever seen the tv shows where thousands of employees, all looking alike, walk into work each day....heads down, frowning, hating life? WELCOME to life in the strip distctirct, PGH headquarters for EDMC. Every morning at 9am, the Strip District becomes jam packed with cars, there are 20 year olds swarming the building everywhere.

2. It is very difficult to find a job once you are employed by EDMC. Luckily I had worked at other companies before going there- so it helped my resume when I went to interviews. However, most interviews I went on, I was questioned about EDMC and what I thought about their ethical practices. I also recieved the same grimmace and "ohhh, you work at EDMC...hmm - we know all about them." It took me appx 1 year to find employment outside of that comapny. I was passed up for jobs I was over-qualified for, all becuase of my assoc with that company. I am thankful daily that I got out.

3. You are treated horribly. Not once, ever...does managment Thank you for your services to them. Nope - they are all about more, more, more, more. In the Finance department, the only goals that were ever set were about talk time, talk time, talk time. They treated us as if we worked at a call center. Numbers are thrown around daily, along with the usual "YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH". As soon as you hit your "goals" they increased! Mgmt does not recognize that as a finance counselor, we had other duties and processes, along with all the excel spreadsheets that needed to be completed.

4. Final word of adivce..Stay far, far AWAY! You will never get promoted unless you know someone, you will be at work from 8-8, be forced to work 1-2 saturdays a month, constantly told you're not doing good enough - along with threats of discplinary actions, and you will watch the revolving door swing, bc no one in their right mind willingly stays employed there.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your ways or you will face losing all of your employees, and your reputation will continue to decline. Something is not right at that company (as in, they are in trouble and I believe its only a matter of time before they close their doors for good).

Fast paced environment with a lot of rapid change.

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros: Fast growing company, a lot of change, new initiatives as… Cons: Inexperienced executive management. No real focus on best practices for operational… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your people, promote those who can foster new ideas, and… More

I feel I was overpaid to talk students into $100,000 worth of debt in a couple hours time.

Assistant Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros: They take care of the top performers. It is a large growing company so room for advancement if you are… Cons: It is hard to know that you are potentially ruining people's lives and credit because they are not going to be able to pay those… Advice to Senior Management: Be more fair and stop operating solely off of your own agenda. Don't make it obvious if you're operating a good ol' boys… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Education Management Corporation.

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!