There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

One of the worst places I have ever worked

Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It!  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

The money is there to make, if you are working 10+ hours of overtime each week. I was a finance counselor, and often saw the only perk of the job as the overtime. My motto was, as long as I'm stuck in this awful job, I will try to make as much $$ as possible.

Cons

1. EDMC is like a black hole that sucks people in - have you ever seen the tv shows where thousands of employees, all looking alike, walk into work each day....heads down, frowning, hating life? WELCOME to life in the strip distctirct, PGH headquarters for EDMC. Every morning at 9am, the Strip District becomes jam packed with cars, there are 20 year olds swarming the building everywhere.

2. It is very difficult to find a job once you are employed by EDMC. Luckily I had worked at other companies before going there- so it helped my resume when I went to interviews. However, most interviews I went on, I was questioned about EDMC and what I thought about their ethical practices. I also recieved the same grimmace and "ohhh, you work at EDMC...hmm - we know all about them." It took me appx 1 year to find employment outside of that comapny. I was passed up for jobs I was over-qualified for, all becuase of my assoc with that company. I am thankful daily that I got out.

3. You are treated horribly. Not once, ever...does managment Thank you for your services to them. Nope - they are all about more, more, more, more. In the Finance department, the only goals that were ever set were about talk time, talk time, talk time. They treated us as if we worked at a call center. Numbers are thrown around daily, along with the usual "YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH". As soon as you hit your "goals" they increased! Mgmt does not recognize that as a finance counselor, we had other duties and processes, along with all the excel spreadsheets that needed to be completed.

4. Final word of adivce..Stay far, far AWAY! You will never get promoted unless you know someone, you will be at work from 8-8, be forced to work 1-2 saturdays a month, constantly told you're not doing good enough - along with threats of discplinary actions, and you will watch the revolving door swing, bc no one in their right mind willingly stays employed there.

Change your ways or you will face losing all of your employees, and your reputation will continue to decline. Something is not right at that company (as in, they are in trouble and I believe its only a matter of time before they close their doors for good).

306 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

Fast paced environment with a lot of rapid change.

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Fast growing company, a lot of change, new initiatives as well as an upward moving industry with a focus on people.

Cons

Inexperienced executive management. No real focus on best practices for operational efficiency. No real methodology adopted at this current point in time.

Listen to your people, promote those who can foster new ideas, and those who have insight from other industries who can instill best practices.

I feel I was overpaid to talk students into $100,000 worth of debt in a couple hours time.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

They take care of the top performers. It is a large growing company so room for advancement if you are a top performer and they like you. Each school has different management and is going to be a different situation.

Cons

It is hard to know that you are potentially ruining people's lives and credit because they are not going to be able to pay those loans back most of the time because they aren't really sure what payments they've signed up for after graduation. Management was not incredibly bright, they were just good salespeople. My particular position was similar to a role in a call center.

Be more fair and stop operating solely off of your own agenda. Don't make it obvious if you're operating a good ol' boys club. Also, let people have a lunch. They are more effective if they can take a break and then get back to work.

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

Worked for Education Management Corporation? Contribute to the Community!