Education Management Corporation

disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

Tuition assistance programs, benefits, good work atmosphere

Cons

Too large of an organization-- I felt that my accomplishments were praised at a local-level, but the board of directors and management team at a corporate-level were only focused on the bottom line. Projected growth was decided at a national-level without taking the time to research the local market, resulting in frustrated employees, low morale and high turnover.

Listen to feedback from employees-- people want to be part of something great and will be motivated to work harder if they feel they are being listened to. Having over-worked employees, who feel the goals they are working towards are not achievable, results in those employees going out in the community and speaking negatively about their work environment.

336 Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation (View Most Recent)

nightmare

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

if you need a job they will hire you.

Cons

high pressure sales to prospective college students. they lie. good leads and students signing up on own go to favorites. they will take away your your good leads and give you old overworked ones.

are you aware of the corruption going on in the sales department???

One of the worst places I have ever worked

Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Good Luck - You're Going to Need It! in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation

Pros

The money is there to make, if you are working 10+ hours of overtime each week. I was a finance counselor, and often saw the only perk of the job as the overtime. My motto was, as long as I'm stuck in this awful job, I will try to make as much $$ as possible.

Cons

1. EDMC is like a black hole that sucks people in - have you ever seen the tv shows where thousands of employees, all looking alike, walk into work each day....heads down, frowning, hating life? WELCOME to life in the strip distctirct, PGH headquarters for EDMC. Every morning at 9am, the Strip District becomes jam packed with cars, there are 20 year olds swarming the building everywhere.

2. It is very difficult to find a job once you are employed by EDMC. Luckily I had worked at other companies before going there- so it helped my resume when I went to interviews. However, most interviews I went on, I was questioned about EDMC and what I thought about their ethical practices. I also recieved the same grimmace and "ohhh, you work at EDMC...hmm - we know all about them." It took me appx 1 year to find employment outside of that comapny. I was passed up for jobs I was over-qualified for, all becuase of my assoc with that company. I am thankful daily that I got out.

3. You are treated horribly. Not once, ever...does managment Thank you for your services to them. Nope - they are all about more, more, more, more. In the Finance department, the only goals that were ever set were about talk time, talk time, talk time. They treated us as if we worked at a call center. Numbers are thrown around daily, along with the usual "YOU AREN'T DOING ENOUGH". As soon as you hit your "goals" they increased! Mgmt does not recognize that as a finance counselor, we had other duties and processes, along with all the excel spreadsheets that needed to be completed.

4. Final word of adivce..Stay far, far AWAY! You will never get promoted unless you know someone, you will be at work from 8-8, be forced to work 1-2 saturdays a month, constantly told you're not doing good enough - along with threats of discplinary actions, and you will watch the revolving door swing, bc no one in their right mind willingly stays employed there.

Change your ways or you will face losing all of your employees, and your reputation will continue to decline. Something is not right at that company (as in, they are in trouble and I believe its only a matter of time before they close their doors for good).

There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation